Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How big was your first quilt?

Blog Entries
    Twin size log cabin. Looong time ago!

My first was a queen sized double wedding band for my daughter's wedding in 2009-didn't know any better, was just determined to do it-i loved it, she loved it, and i caught the bug!

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a full size sampler from a "Teach yourself to Quilt" book. Bought cheap fabric from the Ragshop b/c I didn't know anything and if I messed up wouldn't feel too bad. The colors are not wonderful. That was in summer 2001. I had it LA and it's been washed and dried too many times to count. It's on my bed now although sometimes it's a back of the couch quilt or on my daughter's bed.

Cot size baby quilt for my son who's now 22. He kept it as a 'snuggle cover' until it fell apart.

My first was regular bed size. My grandmother helped me piece a Dresden Plate from Mom's sewing scraps. I was 17, She was in her 80's. I wagged that top all over Texas for many years. My mother finally quilted it and I gave it to my son. He was 35 at the time. The first quilt I made from piecing to quilted finish was Tall Ships. I also gave that one to my DS.

My first quilt was a nine-patch and rail--about twin sized. It hangs proudly in my sewing room. I made it in July of 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Queen size - Thousands of Pyamids! 25 years ago.

Mine was a baby quilt for DD. Just scrappy squares.

Twin size, alternating solid blocks with print blocks. From scraps my Step-Mom gave me. About 4 years ago.

I made a twin size log cabin for my son's bed when he was 6..he is now 30, so it was a while ago!

My avatar is my first quilt. Finished it a little over a year ago!

Crib size flannel trip around the world.

Mine was a queen size, nine patch with a sheet backing and tied. Still have it and love it!

Mine was a queen size, nine patch with a sheet backing and tied. Still have it and love it!

My first quilt was a full bed size log cabin. I hand quilted 1/4" from each and every seam. It took me a year to finish (I was working at the time). I gave it to my mother. That was the start of many many more but switched to machine quilting. My mother and grandmother quilted so I came by it naturally. Quilting is my therapy, smile.

It was a queen size, dresden plate (gold and maroon) and
    I used all cotton batting. Had to quilt it really, really
    close. That was about 45 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I figure God made fabric in 45" widths for a reason. I made a baby quilt 45" square. "Storm at Sea" which has a zillion pieces, but not so bad if you draft out one square for the whole quilt.

Mine was a crib size quilt I made in a six week beginner's quilting class. It is one of my UFO's. I need to quilt it. I have just never had the need to finish it since I don't know anyone who would use it.

My first quilt was 4" flannel blocks made in 1975 for my baby. At that time you didn't know if the baby was a girl or a boy. Turned out a girl. She loved it! Now she is making quilts for her daughter!

My first quilt was king size. We only had the one bed. It was called match sticks and I did this over 15 years ago.

First quilt was small wall quilt around 24x36 made in 2008 for a photographer friend of mine.
    The lady in the center is an enlarged picture of one of the ladies on the fabric. Hair is painted and stitched. Face is painted.
    As you can see I'm not the one with the photographic skills.
    :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just thinking back to my first quilt made me laugh today! I cut squares from a white sheet, used iron on embroidery transfers, painted them all with embroidery paint (remeber those tubes?), sashed with pink, backed with pink and yellow striped flannel. And, for the middle I put both an old blanket and an old tablecloth. No idea why. But, do you know how heavy that quilt was??!! My daughter has it today, well-loved, total tatters, but it is what it is. Over 50 years ago and a double bed size.

My first quilt was 51 years ago. Newly married. I had bought a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine to make my wedding dress, so used it to piece a bow tie quilt. I stayed on the floor for days laying it out and then pinning and quilting it there as I had no frames. Haven't we come a long way???? I forgot to add it was a full bed size.

My avatar was my first quilt. It was for a king size waterbed--about 20 yrs. ago, I believe. I added a skirting to the sides and used it as a sort of bedspread. I later removed the skirting and added sashing and binding around the edges. Can't remember the name of the pattern (I believe I saw it on HGTV).

Mine was a queen size for my daughters wedding. I made a fushsia and white satin 6 inch strips on a 45 degree angle. Satin is too hot for me, but she has her house as cold as she can get it. She also turns the fan on high and then covers with a couple of quilts so she can warm. Don't understand it
    Syl

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast