Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How big was your first quilt?

1983 large twin sampler fully hand sewn and quilted.

Power Poster
    Baby quilt, log cabin, in 1999.

My first quilt was a super king. Made for our daughter last fall. Used a dimensions pattern. Turned out quite beautiful.

Blog Entries
    My avatar shows my first quilt top I made less than a year ago. It is a wall hanging only 3'x3', made from a quilting magazine pattern.

My first was for my 6' tall dgs. It was LSU. I started out with the embroidered kit, and kept adding 9 patch squares. It was 102" x 112". Took me about 18 months and that was 4 years ago.

Diane in LA

My first quilt was a King Size! It was a 4 patch with sold blocks.
    That was 18 years ago. It is still on the bed because my cats sometimes throw up. It's falling apart but for the cats, it's fine.

lap, rail fence

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was slightly larger than a queen. It is in the form of Ohio block( I think ).

Quote Originally Posted by MsDesigns
    How big was your first quilt? What was the pattern? Do I dare to ask? How long ago was that?
    I don't remember my first quilt. However, it had to be either twin or full size and the pattern would have to have been a 9 patch. That is the only pattern I knew how to make for many years. It is still one of my favorites.

My first quilt was one I made for my second baby. She will be 43 next month. Second was also a baby quilt I made for a friend. It was tricot on top and flannel on the bottom.

Blog Entries
    the 1st one i did was a baby quilt. i put together a pieced quilt, but don't remember the pattern. i just know that i didn't know where to put the frame up and my DH suggested 'why not over our bed?" it took me all week to hand quilt it and every day he would ask me--how much longer? neither of us knew what to expect!

My first quilt was a queen-size Ohio Star that I made completely by hand!!!
    It took me a long time to finish it, but I was told that if I didn't finish this first one I'd never become a quilter. I did, finally, and I'm still quilting. However, i don't make everything completely by hand now. I piece by machine, but i sill quilt by hand. It's the most relaxing part.

The first big quilt I made was a queen sized quilt. What was wierd about it was I saw a pattern of CROCHETED blocks that were modified from tradtional quilt patterns. I then took the pattern and converted it back to a quilt pattern. Although it had a lot of mistakes in it. overall it came out just the way I wanted it. My husband and I used it on our bed for many years until it got too threadbare. It was an alternating Ohio star pattern in beiges, greens, blues and reds. I loved that quilt.

Blog Entries
    patchwork squares. for a double bed.

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a paper pieced star queen sized. I had sewn for years but not quilted. I decided I wanted to make a quilt and went to a quilt shop. Had to look one up online because I had never been to one.I made the Oregon star out of the 50 state stars book. I must have been crazy to make it for my first quilt. The owner of the shop showed me how to paper piece and I went home and did it. The first square took me over 8 hours and I nearly quit. I decided to try a few more and see if it got faster. That was 5 years ago. The quilt came out fine.

Blog Entries
    First I did was embroidered blocks of the fifty states, with the state bird and flower, and admission date. I made it for my grandson who had learned all the states when he was in kindergarden... I didn't know how to quilt, so I just did a "saddle stitch" around each block and tied the ends at the corners. He used it until some of the embroidery is faded and worn so thin, he gave it back for me to keep for him. He is now 27. Not a prize winner, but one full of love that is still loved today. It fits the top of a double bed. He has several I have made him since...

I can't remember, it was back in the early 70's

Blog Entries
    My 1st quilt was a lap size bowtie pattern. I started the bowtie pattern because my mom when she pass away she left 2 blocks of bowties. So I had to do something with them..

Seems like my first quilt was made for my DD when she went away to college. The blocks were made of leftover fabric from her clothes I had sewn over the years. It had a cozy plaid flannel back.

My first quilt was a log cabin done the Eleanor Burns way. It was pretty small, not even what I would call lap size. I picked fabrics I thought were what was supposed to be used in quilts, mostly browns and greens, pretty dull. Now I go for the brighter the better. Think the top is about an inch wider than the bottom. That was about 15 years ago. I still have the quilt but don't let anyone see it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDesigns
    How big was your first quilt? What was the pattern? Do I dare to ask? How long ago was that?
    My first quilt was a full size, in the early 60's,Nine patch.

Gloria

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    My first quilt was a log cabin done the Eleanor Burns way. It was pretty small, not even what I would call lap size. I picked fabrics I thought were what was supposed to be used in quilts, mostly browns and greens, pretty dull. Now I go for the brighter the better. Think the top is about an inch wider than the bottom. That was about 15 years ago. I still have the quilt but don't let anyone see it.
    (you need to go get that quilt and snuggle up on the couch and watch a good movie!) :-o

My first was a doll quilt for my granddaughter. When I see it now, I realize I've come a long way. But when I see all of yours I know I've a long way to go and may never get there. Its fun anyway!!!

I can't believe it but it was a queen size with cowboy boots and a lone star. I don't have a picture on this computer to post but you can see it here [http://quiltwalktalk.blogspot.com/se.../first%20quilt]

Blog Entries
    Mine was a double size Irish chain, made for DD in 1998.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast