Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to build your stash! >

How to build your stash!

How to build your stash!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM

I buy fabric I like when I see it... usually 1/2 yard or fat quarter... if have something in mind and would be a qood starter print... I will buy 2 to 3 yds.. My favorite time to do this is during a shop hop... different Quilt shops also have their favorites... and what you find at one you may never see at another...
Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i buy yardage any where from 3 (minimum) up to a bolt of the same fabric.

once you know your voice as a quilter you will know what type of stash you need.

like a previous person said different styles have different stash needs.

for example i never work with novelty prints so it would be pointless for me to buy this types of fabric even when deeply discounted because i would never use it.
I don't work with novelty prints except with baby quilts or kid quilts. Then I buy just enough for the quilt because I know I won't use the leftovers. I'm still trying to find my voice as a quilter and I've been at it for 10 years. I do know that I am more of a traditional quilter.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM

I started with fat quarters and half yards, but now that I have to prewash everything a few times (allergic reactions), I buy yardage, usually 2 yds or more at a time. I buy a lot of bolts as well.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Yep!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i buy yardage any where from 3 (minimum) up to a bolt of the same fabric.

once you know your voice as a quilter you will know what type of stash you need.

like a previous person said different styles have different stash needs.

for example i never work with novelty prints so it would be pointless for me to buy this types of fabric even when deeply discounted because i would never use it.
Am still speechless. Just when I think I hear a faint voice, I look at the quilts on this board and the voice disappears. Not giving up though.

I don't work with novelty prints except with baby quilts or kid quilts. Then I buy just enough for the quilt because I know I won't use the leftovers. I'm still trying to find my voice as a quilter and I've been at it for 10 years. I do know that I am more of a traditional quilter.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM

I buy 2 yards or more of a fabric I like.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I'm on a buying freeze hoping the quality of fabric gets better when the cotton shortage problem gets better. When I was buying it was usually 3 yds. for a main fabric, plus 1 yd. for coordinating fabrics. 1/4 yd. for my floral applique collection of pieces.
Me too.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM

I normally buy at least a yard -- 3 yards if I think this is a border or background fabric. I once started a quilt using some fat quarters for DS, then he wanted a queen not a double (I took a while to work on it) and finding something to blend with the older FQ was a pain. Now I try to work from my stash (which spans about 15 years of fabric styles now) buying only fillers.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 AM

My stash is too big too!! I try now to buy at thrift stores-pillow cases-100% cotton clothing,sheets, placemats, pillow shams etc. Must have a tag saying it is cotton before I buy it. I use the fat quarter $ rule must get that amt for the price! I love scrappy so it works for me!!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 AM

I used to do all of the above as well. Until I felt I needed yardage more. Now when I buy yardage for my stash, I never buy under 2 yards.