Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to build your stash! >

How to build your stash!

How to build your stash!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 AM

quilters some of you may have seen this great stashbuilder sale and some may not. but at $.50 a fat quarter what a great way to help build your stash.

www.whittlesfabrics.com is still having their grab bag fat quarter sale at 10 mystery fat quarters for $5.00. see below:

"We also have the Mystery Fat Quarter Bags - 10 Fat Quarters for $5.00 (limit of 3 fat quarter mystery bundles per order). It is the item with the big blue question mark.

That is right. Only 50 cents a fat quarter. But it will be a surprise what you get. Great for those fat quarter giveaways at your guilds and clubs, or just to add to your stash."

once on the site, click online catalog, in the search bar type in fat quarters, then click on the blue question mark. happy shopping.

here's a link to their online store

http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/
Old 09-26-2011, 07:57 AM

You should buy according to the type of quilts you like or want to create... I used to buy only 3+ yards, because everyone says" if you love it you'll be sorry if you run out before your project is done'.( I'm still using scraps from when I first began quilting..) Since I've discovered I perfer to make scrap quilts, I buy 3 yards if I can't live without it, 2 yards if I love it, 1 yard if I really like it, and fat quarters if I like it. I still buy mass quantities of muslin for backgrounds and backing...
Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM

it didn't take me long to find my voice as a quilter. i like modern bold colorful prints that really didn't fit in traditional quilting. plus i like art quilts which veers from traditional quilting. i like mixed fabric textures, velveteens, flannel, silk (& brocades), so all of this led me to modern quilting. i have been a sewer over 45 years and morphed into a quilter the last 3-4 years. at least you know your style, the voice will emerge.

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i buy yardage any where from 3 (minimum) up to a bolt of the same fabric.

once you know your voice as a quilter you will know what type of stash you need.

like a previous person said different styles have different stash needs.

for example i never work with novelty prints so it would be pointless for me to buy this types of fabric even when deeply discounted because i would never use it.
I don't work with novelty prints except with baby quilts or kid quilts. Then I buy just enough for the quilt because I know I won't use the leftovers. I'm still trying to find my voice as a quilter and I've been at it for 10 years. I do know that I am more of a traditional quilter.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM

I seldom buy less than 5 yds of any fabric.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 AM

If i really like a pattern i have then i take the pattern to the fabric store with me and buy all the material i need to make it then when i get home i put it all in a container and then add that to my stash pile of ** To Do **. That way i got the pattern and the material i need and i make sure that i always buy a bit extra so that i dont run out in the middle of making the pattern. And if just adding to my stash then i like to get min 2 yards of material . And Jelly rolls well i love then so if i see one i like i buy it . I dont buy many fat quarters unless on sale ..
Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM

PRECUTS: Charms, jelly rolls, FQs
YARDAGE
Scraps from others
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 AM

mostly yardage because you get more fabric for your money
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I usually buy yardage, but also do FQ's on occasion!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM

I prefer to buy in yard+ cuts. I find that if I buy fat quarters, I end up not having enough of the fabric when I go to use it. I don't spend money on charm packs or jelly rolls, but I do keep my scraps & cut them into strips for use in scrappies or jelly roll patterns later.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 AM

This really depends. When I go into a store if they have a sale on FQ and there are ones that I like I'll get some. It's the same way no matter what I get. If it's a really good deal and it's by the yrd I might get 2 or 3 yrds of it since I don't know what I'll make with it yet. I've never had a fabric that I wouldn't cut because I like it too much but when I deside what block or quilt I want to make then I look at my fabric to see if something jumps out at me and if not off to the store I go. I'm doing an applique quilt now and was told to pick the border fabric then match the fabric to do the applique with but I did the opposite; I found fabric that I loved in colors that would look great and I think that I've just found the border fabric on line; we'll see when it gets here. I don't have a really large stash; compared to what I've seen here on this board mine wouldn't even be called a stash but it's just fabric that I like; some with intentions on what I'll make with it some who knows.