Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I overcome my fear? >

How can I overcome my fear?

How can I overcome my fear?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM

If my DIL actually told me she'd like a quilt done in ______ colors, I'd be honored to fulfill her preferences; but I know better than to proceed without that approval established ahead of time. Making a surprise quilt for someone is too risky.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM

I fully agree that giving love is essential, but loving blindly isn't wise. Checking what colours the dil wants is a great idea, even chedking a pattern. I asked my granddaughter what shapes she wants and hope to actually take her shopping to choose colours for herself - why should I impose my colour choice on her? A quilt is really a powerful, distinctive presence in any room, often the first thing our eyes fall on. Better be pleasing to be welcomed.
I learned that when my grandson was just over 2 1/5, I made a red sweater with some grey and white around the shoulders waist and wrists. He said,"It feel warm Nana, but there's too much red"!! Now I bring the whole wool sample card and they choose from it. At age 12 he's beginning the teen fashion thing, floppy sweats and jeans, forget the handknits. Oh Well, it was fun while it lasted!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I know the quilts I have given to some family members have been used and loved and several are tattered and torn. That is okay. I don't do elaborate quilts. I like to do fairly simple patterns so even though I labor over a quilt I am not upset if the quilt isn't treated as I might treat a quilt. The pleasure I gain in making a quilt far out weighs how the quilt is treated once it is gifted. I do quilts for charitable causes and I am sure those quilts may not be kept in good condition. I guess my love of quilting and the fact I treat it as 'therapy' for me - to get me through handling the grief of losing our son a year ago is enough reward for me to continue quilting as long as I am able.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
It's time to toughen up here!! If you are making quilts to give away then you nolonger have the right to say what happens to it once it is given. If you are making quilts and keeping them then were is the fun. Frankly not everybody appreciates what goes into the making of a quilt and they don't have too, also it's not our job to educate them. When it comes to gifting a quilt you need to gift and forget. Once it is out of yours hands you nolonger have the right to say what happens to it.
Love it! I'm a softy too about things like this, but sometimes I have to be jerked back into reality to get back on the right track. Thanks for that jerk!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Please do not judge everyone by your granddaughters actions. The quilt you made her was beautiful, however, at the time you gave it to her she may have just been to young to really appreciate the gift because she saw it as "homemade" and she just didn't really realize the gift of love you put into it. When she gets older I feel sure she will realize her mistake. Here is a HUG, now go start that quilt for your future granddaughter.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 AM

I definately understand the hurt! People just do not realize the time, the emotion, and the hard work that are involved. I am very careful about who I give quilts to. Sadly I learned my lesson as you did. I know that they are gifts, but it's hard to see something created with love abused. So sorry you are hurt!!