Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How can you build up stash when life gets in the way >
  • How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

• How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 AM

So sorry for your loss. I have seen quilts that have been made from clothing (such as your husbands) into quilts. Jeans, plaid shirts cut into patches and put together and it had red flannel on the back and was tied. It was something his wife loved. Just one idea. May you find peace as you piece. God Bless and comfort you.
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 AM

My stash started by shopping the remnant bins at WalMart and JoAnn's. Also, let your friends and family know you are interested in quilting. Sometimes there are those who have been quilters/seamstresses and are now getting out of that and have a stash to share or eliminate. My husband's aunt brought me 3 big boxes of fabric when she quit sewing.
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 AM

My sympathy on your loss. May God grant you peace.

I have purchased lots of nice quilting fabric at yard sales.
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 AM

Garage sales, thrift stores, remnant bins at Walmart. I bought two sheets for $1.00 yesterday at Goodwill to practice on for longarm quilting, but the largest one was in very good condition and would have made a very nice backing or borders for a quilt....a lovely rose design.
    they had a green tag sale....buy one green tag and another green tag free....therefore, the two for $1.
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 AM

Sorry for your loss.
    Thrift stores, yard sales are a great way to get a beginning stash.
    My mom's cousin taught me to sew and she believed if it was fabric it could be put in a quilt. (Some are easier to work with than others or better than others.)
    Let people at your church, friends, or any group you belong to know that you quilt. You would be amazed how many of those that make clothing will have scraps from their projects that they will give you or that they get from a friend of a friend.
    Make a quilt or two from some of your husbands cloths. Have your family give you their old jeans. Jean quilts are warm and don't need to be fancy. Children love to drag them around. We have one we use for picnics.
    I think in this economy we are going to see more quilts made from gently used clothing.
    I once made a queen size quilt from cloths and curtains purchased at a thrift store for a total of $25 not counting the batting. I did get the batting on sale for $12.
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM

My husband and I volunteer at a local Thrift Store. Anything we buy is 1/2 price. I got two fabrics (total 5 yards) for $1.62. Did my happy dance all the way to the car.

Lynn
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 AM

When my two sons died, I made a quilt for each of their 3 children out of their shirts. You might do that with your husband's shirts. Just a thought.
    Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM

Thrift stores, yard sales, auctions. You might even try putting an ad in the local paper. You might be surprised.
    Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 AM

I would like to thank everyone for there help. I am overwhelmed my the generosity of the ladies on this board. You have all touched a special place in my heart. I am looking forward to making friends here. Maybe one day I can help someone that you ladies have helped me, thank you so much. Still crying but these are happy tears
    Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM

You might want to check on 'Quilt for Kids' through Downy. They will send you all the material for a quilt except the batting. You make it and return it. The only cost is the batting and mailing it back. It will get you to sewing/quilting; and maybe with time, you can start to get some material a little bit at a time. I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. That must be devastating, and you definitely need something else in your life to keep you busy and happy. Good luck. - Cynthia