Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can you build up stash when life gets in the way >

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 AM

I too offer my sympathies for the loss of your DH.
When you build your stash, do you have a place to store it? That will limit the size of it. Have you considered joining a quilting church group? I belong to two, one of which makes 20+ quilts a year for charity. Our 8 members also can work on projects for themselves, using fabric from the two 6-foot stash cabinets. My own stash had been stuffed in bags deep within the spare bedroom closet for years where I couldn't see or appreciate what I had. All the fabric became dated. I donated most of it to the group (that's when the 2nd tall cabinet came into demand) and I'm now SO pleased that everyone is using it for one project or another!
Now my own stash is restocked mostly with Asian and Batik fabrics! Its stored in large bins in two 6-foot shelving units in my third bedroom, separated and labeled, where I can get to it easily.
I also belong to two quilt guilds, one of which is very big into philanthropy. We make around 500 quilts a year. We meet weekly and sew all day. We have a huge stash where everyone can help themselves.
Look around your area, I'll bet you can find a group that will help you find quilty happiness and satisfaction.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:02 AM

Some online stores have great everyday prices for quilting cotton (thousandsofbolts.com and connectingthreads.com come to mind but there are more I'm sure). One of our local churches operate a thrift store and sell clothes for $2 a bag. Freecycle is an option as is garage sales, clearance racks at quilt stores, and unwanted clothes from friends and family who are cleaning house.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Thrift stores ,garage sales , rummage sales, craigslist, freecycle. Let your friends know you are collecting cotton fabric for quilting, they may have some clothes or fabric for you too. Over half of my stash came from these places. :thumbup:
Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 AM

I would like to send you something for your quilting .......please send me your address and I will get the stuff togeather. I will send it out next week. I know how life can get in the way.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

I would also make it clear to everyone that I really appreciate cotton fabric yardage for gifts.
Yes! Sometimes people who quit sewing might be willing to give you their extra fabric. Spread the word among your friends that you are getting into this and if they have extra fabric that they don't think they are ever going to use...you'd be glad to use it. You might be surprised who would take you up on it.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM

I have gotten alot of my stash from ebay. I check it several times a week and always look at the ones ending now. I have gotten a lot of fabric this way. I also got a lot of fabric from my grandmother when she was placed in an adult care home. As others I also look for remnant pieces at Walmart or wherever you can buy fabric.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 AM

some churches have clothing ministries where the clothes are free and they do not mind giving away some of them for quilting
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

What kind of fabric are you looking for? Is there a specific size you want?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM

i have 8 of 11 kids still at home, trust me I have to count every penny. I used clothes that don't fit anyone anymore and even garage sale clothes, or some that girlfriends have passed down to me. Then when I get to treat myself to an actual yard or two, I pick some color that will go with the scraps I have cut out waiting. i love the goodwill too. have found yards of material there. I save my kids grown out jeans and have made them all a jean quilt over the years
Old 12-31-2010, 11:08 AM
jme

I shop thrift stores all the time. They usually charge about $1 a yard. I buy flat sheets to do my backing with and I also like to but remnants.