Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I have been so stupid!!

All I can say is SORRY. {{hugs}} as you've read, others have done the same thing, don't beat yourself up.

My DH doesn't like a lot of "cutesy" decorating items, like tree skirts and such. When we got married, I showed him a pattern book I had of crocheted tree skirts. We mutually selected one that he loved, and I spent months crocheting it. It lasted through several years, including a move from Illinois to Mississippi, but our first Christmas back in Illinois, we couldn't find it anywhere. And then he had a horrible thought. He'd bought a new artificial Christmas tree and burned the old one....and he's betting that the Christmas tree skirt was in the old tree box, that he didn't open before burning it. :( Five years later, I still haven't had the heart to make a new tree skirt.

Power Poster
    I can relate -

I do hope it turns up!

Hope you find it. Keep us posted

Blog Entries
    I bet someone got into your van.Was it locked where did you have it parked?Connie in CO

Blog Entries
    Oh! Stress is the cause to not remember at all what you did with something right in your hands. Your mind was going too fast thinking of other things.

I have never sit a trash bag anywhere in the house just to sit there. Plastic bags from stores get thrown away as soon as they come in the house. I don't like or keep plastic shopping bags (or wire hangers, lol) If one is sitting out DH or the kids will know it's odd and will ask what is that?

I have heard of many horror stories like yours, so I never, ever put quilts in a bag where I cannot see the contents. I'm so sorry! You must be sick about it.

I hope it turns up, but yeah, I would feel sickened by the loss. I never have put quilts into any kind of plastic bag. I have a quilted tote bag specifically for large quilts that are going anywhere out of the house. I learned from someone's loss years ago never to put them into garbage bags. Sorry you had to learn this lesson so painfully. :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlquilts
    I'm just sick about what I think I did last week. I put a quilt top and backing (just needed batting!) in a plastic bag in my van to drop off at the quilter. Didn't end up going, and left bag in the van for return trip. Guess what? I can't find the bag with the top and back and I think I may have tossed it! I feel so sick! :( Not just at the money I've lost, but at the loss of a gift for my brother. I keep praying it will turn up. Has anyone else done anything like this? I will NEVER EVER EVER put a quilt in a plastic bag from a discount store! I feel like I left a kid at the mall. Thanks for letting me vent!
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE MY MOTHER THREW OUT A WHOLE BAG OF QUILT TOPS ONE TIME WHEN SHE MOVED.I MADE ONE OF THEM IT BROKE HER HEART BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN.PLEASE DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOUR SELF.

hugs

tmg
    Sorry about that. Maybe it will turn up.

Clear bags are definitely in order! My nephew's 3 girls did their 'school shopping' for new clothes on the way to their cottage. They put it all in a garbage bag for 'safe keeping' among the fishing gear, suntan oil, food, etc... (You've probably anticipated where this is going!) Yep, on the way home they run by the transfer station to toss the 'garbage'...

Blog Entries
    I'm just sick about what I think I did last week. I put a quilt top and backing (just needed batting!) in a plastic bag in my van to drop off at the quilter. Didn't end up going, and left bag in the van for return trip. Guess what? I can't find the bag with the top and back and I think I may have tossed it! I feel so sick! :( Not just at the money I've lost, but at the loss of a gift for my brother. I keep praying it will turn up. Has anyone else done anything like this? I will NEVER EVER EVER put a quilt in a plastic bag from a discount store! I feel like I left a kid at the mall. Thanks for letting me vent!
    When I first moved into this house, the seller paid to have a water treatment system istalled. I was left with a wonderful package of the manual and lots of maintenance info. Long story short, went to sit down a few days later and read it. Couldn't find it. Only thing I could ever figure out is that it had gotten mixed in with the newspapers and put out with the recycling. Fourteen years later and never found it. That was $2500 worth of info. Now when I put anything away I use a clear plastic bag instead of trash bags or store bags. Am always afraid of doing what you did. I sure hope you find it. I also try to keep my auto free of trash so things like that don't happen.

Blog Entries
    When I first moved into this house, the seller paid to have a water treatment system istalled. I was left with a wonderful package of the manual and lots of maintenance info. Long story short, went to sit down a few days later and read it. Couldn't find it. Only thing I could ever figure out is that it had gotten mixed in with the newspapers and put out with the recycling. Fourteen years later and never found it. That was $2500 worth of info. Now when I put anything away I use a clear plastic bag instead of trash bags or store bags. Am always afraid of doing what you did. I sure hope you find it. I also try to keep my auto free of trash so things like that don't happen.

I do things like this all the time! I think our house has a "Black Hole". Things disappear and rarely reappear. Good luck in finding your quilt.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Sometimes things like that do turn up & I hope that's the case this time. I've done way to many stupid things to pick just one to share with you. Anyway, what you did, if you did it, was a mistake and we all make 'em. Hugs to you.

Oooh, I feel your pain.

So sorry this happened and yes it has happened to me. I no longer use those plastic shopping bags for anything but trash. I lesson taught well.

Feel relieved that it wasn't your wife's $80,000.00 worth of jewellery that a man in this State threw out last week. They were keeping it in garbage bags to fool the burglars...

Anyway, I'm not trying to make light of your loss. I would not like to lose something I had worked on for so long and intendedfor a gift. A good Samaritan may yet do you a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Take a deep breath, calm yourself, and look again. Chances of your throwing it out are very remote. If you were throwing out bags, you would have checked to see what was in them first. The quilt is most likely there, somewhere, waiting to be found. When you're in a panic to find something, it hides.
    this is only too true! cant begin to tell you how many times ive misplaced stuff and looked and looked in a panic and my son or my husband will walk in and find it in two minutes. try one more time, calmly. and if it isnt there, remember your not the only one who has done this!

Blog Entries
    What a heart breaker. I didn't loose mine but found a very old wedding ring quilt sitting on top of a trash can in front of a discount store. I couldn't believe my eyes but couldn't leave it there. It is still a prize thing of mine and look at it ofter realizing it is all done by hand right to the end quilting. I will always treasure this and wonder who lost it or why it was on TOP to be seen of a very full trash can that I lucked out and parked by. Hope yours will show up in an unexpected place for you.

Oh yeah. I had $300 cash in my pocket to pay for a table that I had refinished. When I went to the shop the table was not ready. On the way home I found cellophane paper in my pocket from a pack of crackers that I had eaten and tossed it our the window, and . . . .you guessed it - out went the money as well! It was a tough lesson to learn about littering, I still look along that country road whenever I drive by. Oh, and yes. . . . that did stop my littering!!

Power Poster
    First, are you sure you put it in the car? Maybe its still somewhere in the garage or house.

Second, retrace all of the places you went yesterday and see if your could find it. Ask the store owners if anyone brought it in to them for there loss and found.

Was anyone in the car with you, maybe they remember something. Also, could someone have stolen it?

This happened to a friend of mine too. she had put a top in a black trash sack and set it by the door to pick up on her way out. Her husband mistakenly thought it was the final trash to put out before the truck came and lovingly took it out just as the truck arrived. 10 minutes later my friend went to pick up the bag---Ouch it was in the trash and picked up.
    After that I bought the clear bags to use for quilt transportation, then when I put a quilt in I write in Large black letters QUILT DO NOT TRASH. So far its working.
    sure hope your bag turns up.

I once threw out a really nice sleeping bag that my DH had used and then put in a garbage bag and left in the garage. I was trying to get the garbage out before the truck came. Also once cleaned out the car in a rush and put everything in a plastic grocery bag. That was OK, but later looked in, thought it was all garbage and threw it out. The kids' McDonalds coupons were in there. Not a big loss, but they were kinda mad at me. My mom had a baby quilt that she had made when my youngest brother was born. It was painted with Artex paints of Bambi and friends-really cute. Had it in the closet at church in a garbage bag for a class or something and never got it back. It was probably thrown out by someone who didn't bother to check it. I have learned to not use the black bags for anything but trash unless I have to and mark it well. We have all done this. I really hope that it turns up for you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast