Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did this happen... >

How did this happen...

How did this happen...

Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM

I was going to say you were being too hard on yourself, that your room didn't really look bad, and it didn't...but as I read more, I realized you had already gotten it all organized. So I'll just say "Good for You and job well done!!!"

Dina
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I decided to clean and re-organize my sewing room to start off the New Year right. OMG, where did all this come from. Maybe I am out of control when I see fabric on sale. To make it worse I just ordered 15 more yards. Look out Secret Pal, you are going to help with my de-stashing. And scraps...I think they multiply when I turn off the lights.

I guess I need to stay out of quilt shops until I get some projects done.
Nonsense! Looks heavenly to me. HNY!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM

This really works.... have been doing similar organizing for about a year... I started using Alaskasunshine's folding fabric to organize your sewing room and went on to cutting strips and uniform pieces.

Give it a try if you want to used your stash.

Judy in Phx
Originally Posted by deemail View Post
begin by getting rid of those scraps...
when cutting, (no reason to put this off, the stuff's on your mat, cutter's in your hand) evaluate...
what's left? is it more than 1/4 yd? trim tiny points and pieces and put in middle of mat. fold the rest and put back in your stash, folded edge forward.
Is it less than 1/4 yd? cut into your personal strip preference...mine is 2.5"... i cut all I can, and then sort them into the right color pizza box to store.
Now the leftover weird pcs, either the tiny ones or the leftovers after the strips... pile and slice several times to make confetti. Sort into correct color baggie.
If you do this while you are cutting, it will take 2 minutes more and your shelves will be better. Your confetti will be ready to use or let the kids play with...(i let them cut iron on interfacing into animal or toy shapes, then supervise while they sprinkle with confetti colors in the right places and press to set...then i put them on t-shirts, baby blocks, nursery items...the kids love them and are busy.............or donate to people who like confetti quilts. The strips are color sorted and ready to use when you're in the mood to just make a strip block in the evening without any hassle or add to your next scrap project.
AND, big bonus...you know that every piece in your stash is a minimum of 1/4 yard.
I put in a bit of time when i first did this but it didn't take long to just do the piece i was cutting and 3 or 4 more at the same time...now if i'm in a big hurry, i just push it off to the side and do it with the next piece.
Do you use from your stash? I find a lot of my friends don't use FROM their stash, they just add to it. Try sorting it in a different way... just pick up the stack of greens and put them next to the browns on the other end of the shelf...put all the pinks, reds and whites together...next time put all the black whites and grays together... i do this easily by taking then entire stack of green off, get the ones i like for cutting, and then when i put the stack back, i put it somewhere else. you will SEE it more and notice different combos.... and just remember to SHOP the STASH first..... then take all of them or their corresponding color chips to the store for those extras you need...you will buy much less...

Last edited by judy363905; 01-02-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM

How do you make your dog mats? I have some fleece for one.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM

It is amazing when we get it all organized how much there is. I am working from my stash for another year! I did that most of 2011 but did add when I needed a color here and there
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Dee

You'll use all the fabric. Now you can shop at "Sunnie" fabric shop.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 AM

I told my kids for years that my fabric was my 401K for retirement knowing that money would be limited and fabric stores a treat and not an everyday thing and now I am retired and having a blast getting to know all my fabric friends again I have so many beautiful friends and have been sewing and quilting and embroidering until my heart sings so don't worry just keep it clean and dry you will use it!!!! happy days are here
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 AM

I'm becoming a fabric hoarder !! I have to make myself stop looking online as I always find a piece of fabric that I just have to have. I have filled up two 3 drawer storage units, have 6 boxes stashed in the closet. I will have to live to be 100 or more to use it all up and yet I just keep shopping. At this rate I'll soon have to move out of the bedroom and sleep on the couch...LOL. My New Year's resolution is to not buy any more until I use what I have....let's see how long I can keep this resolution.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Don't you just "love" the donations of friends who are cleaning out their house and decide that you can use fabric. I have finally just begun to say No, don't need fabric right now.... .
I have a better suggestion..... if you know of someone who is just getting into patchwork quilting, she'd probably love to have those scraps. That's the situation I'm in right now and it's frustrating. Last time I moved, I had to get rid of several huge black bags and boxes of scraps and even large cuts of fabric! I vowed never again to give away or throw away fabric. I haven't sewn for years now so have NO scraps to play with. If you are a member of a quilting group or sewing group, ask the other members if they know of someone who could use them.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 AM

Hi Sunnie, my sister has a grooming shop and I was wondering about your dog mats. Can you tell me about them? I thought maybe she might like to put some in her shop. I don't own any polar fleece but you know us, we can probably find a way to buy some, lol Thanks, Wendy
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
Thanks Jennifer, what you can't see on the other side of the room is masses (probably 20 yards) of polar fleece for making dog mats. I'm not even sure I can fold and store all that is on my ironing board and cutting table.