Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did this happen... >

How did this happen...

How did this happen...

Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 AM

I too wonder how did this happen?

I organized last March/April and have been amazed how much nicer it is to work (for me) in an orderly room. I've always had to have the room organized but having my stash of fabrics where I can see them has been such a blessing. After reading here about folding around comic boards I decided to give it a go. I pulled all my fabric out of cabinets, I was amazed that I had fabric I totally forgotten I had because one stack got piled in front of another or buried at the bottom etc....

Tidy takes time but for me it's necessary to have a space free and clear and ready for the next project.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 AM

My daughter came over yesterday to pick up some patterns and we went through my fabric to see if she could use some for her sewing projects. When she went to the living room she announced to the family that she shopped at mom's store and save a bundle of money. She went home with fabric for a shirt, pants and a skirt. I would like to say it cut down on my stash - but like most sewers/quilters - it just made more room for another purchase.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 AM

How about putting a tag on each project so you can see the date you started it so it is in the front. maybe that will be an incentive for completing the project... so if you still have a project on the shelf from May 2006, maybe its time to work on that one... LOL
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 AM

You have some really good tips, I would never have thought of the confetti idea! Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 AM

I feel better looking at your room.

I am in the process of setting up a dedicated space rather than working from a corner of our bedroom. However, this involves moving the 11 year old into the smaller bedroom as DH seems to think he needs a desk and should have a share of the space... (bitter yes, I'd feel better if he was helping with the project). At least Gus is excited about moving furniture and is helping - and those As-seen-on-TV furniture sliders do work fairly well.

So - over the past 6 days I've dug out most of the 11 year olds room and most of the office-which-became-a-storage-room. Gus's bed and dressers are now in his new room and all of the furniture that needed to move out of that room is either in its new space or has found a new home, except for the trunk sitting in the hall which will move into the master bedroom when the sewing table moves out...

Craft supplies have taken over the dining area waiting for the shelves to be put in place in the new room, which are dependent on me being able to disassemble a desk and shampoo the rest of that carpet which is waiting on the removal of the rest of Gus's treasures (read junk - much of which is going into garbage bags...).

I'm hoping to get the desk moved and pictures rehung this evening, as well as the carpet, then I can start clearing shelves off of more treasures/junk so that my craft supplies and books can come in which will free up the dining area again... It is a long process.

Cheers, K
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Sunnie...I have you beat by a mile! Now to find time to use it all!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Wow! Can I ever identify with you. Thanks for reassuring me I'm not alone in over-stashing.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Thank you for the great tips...I could use these.

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
begin by getting rid of those scraps...
when cutting, (no reason to put this off, the stuff's on your mat, cutter's in your hand) evaluate...
what's left? is it more than 1/4 yd? trim tiny points and pieces and put in middle of mat. fold the rest and put back in your stash, folded edge forward.
Is it less than 1/4 yd? cut into your personal strip preference...mine is 2.5"... i cut all I can, and then sort them into the right color pizza box to store.
Now the leftover weird pcs, either the tiny ones or the leftovers after the strips... pile and slice several times to make confetti. Sort into correct color baggie.
If you do this while you are cutting, it will take 2 minutes more and your shelves will be better. Your confetti will be ready to use or let the kids play with...(i let them cut iron on interfacing into animal or toy shapes, then supervise while they sprinkle with confetti colors in the right places and press to set...then i put them on t-shirts, baby blocks, nursery items...the kids love them and are busy.............or donate to people who like confetti quilts. The strips are color sorted and ready to use when you're in the mood to just make a strip block in the evening without any hassle or add to your next scrap project.
AND, big bonus...you know that every piece in your stash is a minimum of 1/4 yard.
I put in a bit of time when i first did this but it didn't take long to just do the piece i was cutting and 3 or 4 more at the same time...now if i'm in a big hurry, i just push it off to the side and do it with the next piece.
Do you use from your stash? I find a lot of my friends don't use FROM their stash, they just add to it. Try sorting it in a different way... just pick up the stack of greens and put them next to the browns on the other end of the shelf...put all the pinks, reds and whites together...next time put all the black whites and grays together... i do this easily by taking then entire stack of green off, get the ones i like for cutting, and then when i put the stack back, i put it somewhere else. you will SEE it more and notice different combos.... and just remember to SHOP the STASH first..... then take all of them or their corresponding color chips to the store for those extras you need...you will buy much less...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM

I am glad I am not the only one.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Looks comforting to me.