Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine? >

How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine?

How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine?

Old 01-24-2017, 05:29 AM

I put together a couple of baby quilts before taking a class, and that was the wrong order! I learned a lot of good techniques from a 3 week quilting class at my local shop. It included piecing, sandwiching, quilting (with a walking foot), and binding. The tricks for sandwiching and quilting were very helpful. I really, really recommend a walking foot. I had one for garment sewing (useful for matching plaids and sewing corduroy), and it really makes a difference. Heavy starching helps too as others have said. The other thing is to not start on a loved twin quilt! Make some placemats or a table runner first. That way you can concentrate on the quilting process rather than maneuvering a big quilt through your machine.

Pam
Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 AM

I took a class 30 years ago that involved moving my sewing machine to the crook of my shoulder. I produced one practice square and didn't do anything for 20 years. Next I hand-basted my quilts on the floor and tried stitch in the ditch - not too successfully. Then I discovered spray basting, dropped the SID, and now meander happily on every quilt with my 40-year-old Kenmore.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:13 AM

I am taking a course now for certification for teaching and learning free motion, I have always stayed clear of this because did not feel that I could do a good job, I also took a craftsy class with jacquie garing (may be missed spelled) on using the walking foot and loved both of those course I felt strong about that. There are many free classes on youtube that will help you and another good source is Nancy Notions she has many video classes also. Hope the information helps Happy Quilting.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 AM

The Skillbuilder Practice Sampler Panel is a good way to practice different free-motion quilting designs. If you use a water-soluble thread like Superior Threads Vanish Lite as the top thread only, you can use the panel over and over again. Simply soak the panel in water after you have stitched all of the motifs, and all of the top threads disappear. Iron the panel, and it is ready to use again. Here is a link to one panel, there are other panels as well:

http://www.longarmsupplies.net/skill...ingfabric.aspx

Cautions when using water-soluable thread:
- Don't forget that thread is on your machine and stitch something you want to keep.
- Store the thread in a zip lock back with silica gel packets so humidity will not affect it.
- Don't put it where the dog can get to it. She will leave it outside in the rain.
- Don't ask me how I know these things!
Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 AM

I learned how to sew on my grandmothers lamp when I was 5 years old
Old 01-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clmay View Post
I learned how to sew on my grandmothers lamp when I was 5 years old
I would like to see that lamp......
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Practice, practice, practice! Also learned early on to have tables around my sewing table so the whole quilt was supported so there would be no drag.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Another thing I did was to use a stencil traced out and then follow it free motion. It gives you the feeling for the pattern and eventually the muscle memory that you can do the pattern yourself without having to draw it.

Watson
Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 AM

I am still learning, but I found it helpful to mark with pounce and a stencil. I still get lost and forget where I am in design if I don't mark.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Practice, practice and comparison with what I have done in the past. I see much improvement and know I still have a long way to go. I have taken several classes in the stores and I have done several Craftsy classes. All of these instructors are different. Their methods are different and their quilts finish differently. I like the idea of broad knowledge and have the option to try new ways for different results. I use stencils and templates a lot as well as motifs withing the patchwork. I cannot draw a picture and my doodles are very inadequate; so, why would I think I can do it with a sewing machined needle! So, its stencils and rulers. I am always up for new ideas-some work and others do not. But, I keep trying.