Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you learn to make quilts >

How did you learn to make quilts

How did you learn to make quilts

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM

I am self taught. I saw a quilt in a magazine I liked and decided I could do that. I had no directions or idea but bought material and drew out a mapel leaf for a pattern. cut the leaves out and on an old kennmore zigzaged them onto orange squares (was a old ORANGE, UGLY UGLY Orange sheet cut into squares)embroidered the stems and viens in the leaves. Never put together the squares into a quilt though. Still in a box somewhere. Next was a HiHi (daughter's name for Holly Hobby) type with a little girl with her dog, ballons, doing all sorts of things which I put together the same way. Still have that one and well used by daughter. From there I worked into piecing. In my daughters senior year of high school we made a patchwork using mainly denim skirts and jeans and a few jackets and a couple of favourite blouses and skirts. weighs a ton but was a fun project that has many memories from her childhood. I would probably benifit from a class or two!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM

I am teaching myself. I started with baby quilts...9 block or 4 block are very easy. It has been about 18 months and I am trying different patterns now. the D9P looks alot more complicated then it is and the easy jelly roll quilt is quick, looks nice and is great practice for long straight lines.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 PM

When we were stationed in Texas a friend of mine was quilting. I said, I could never do that. Well, next thing you know, she gave my some fabric and a book and said, Just try it!
She was always there as back-up for questions, but I learned from books, tv and many, many mistakes.
But I love it!!! :-D
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 PM

learned to sew when i was about 10 or so. took quilting class when i was about 19 or so. combination of classes and self taught. lots of mags, books, tv quilt shows. simply quilts was very instrumental in my learning curve and exposure. jumped in and tried it. still take classes occasionally for new techniques.

of course this board has a little of everything. gotta love the qb.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 PM

put together all of my fabrics from decorating my house into a chevron style quilt. had no idea about rotary cutters, mats, 1/4" seams, binding, etc. but it turned out pretty good in spite of my lack of knowledge and I still have and use it. and I got hooked on qulting. I bought books/magazines and searched on-line for info about how to make quilts correctly. then I found this board and all of the really good quilters and so now you are all teaching me. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM

youtube and websites and the QB board :)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 AM

[quote=craftinggrandma]I have made rag quilts but have never made a regular quilt.
-------------------------------
What do you mean, the rag quilt wasn't a regular quilt? Of course it was a real quilt. If someone could cover up with it and keep warm under it, it was a regular quilt, and don't let anyone tell you any different. Quilts have been made that way for we don't know how many hundreds (or thousands?) of years. Sheer necessity has made women make quilts to keep themselves and their families warm in harsh weather.

Go on making lovely rag quilts, and give some of them to those you love and want to keep warm.

I learned with my Grandma as teacher. WV winters are cold and miserable and you need heavy, warm quilts for a good night's sleep. I can remember one of mine that Grandma sewed by hand, made of squares of some of Grandpa's old pants and shirts and coats. All quilts I can remember were squares, except for the rare crazy quilts, but those were in the main just for decoration and not night time use. You draped them over a piano if you were rich enough to have one, otherwise over a sofa or a big chair to let friends see what you were capable of doing.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Power Poster

I did by trial and error and then had a class at Quilt In A Day. I made a twin log cabin. I found their split rail fence book and video very helpful and easy and then the Log Cabin book from Quilt in a Day.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 AM

I had been sewing many years then a friend started taking quilting classes and would stop by on her way home and show me everything she would learn. I am so thankful for Michele!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 AM

In the mid 1980s my husband was in the Australian Air Force and we were living on base at Amberley in Queensland. A lovely American lady named Cheryl, whose husband was on exchange from the US, taught a group of us how to make quilts. We would meet fortnightly at each others homes and the host would provide the coffee etc. I was 'hooked' from day one. We started by making a sampler quilt and we each had a square to complete. It was a bit like the scenes from that lovely movie "How to make an American Quilt" where we all sat around a large table and chatted whilst we stitched. I have lovely memories of that time and am very grateful to have had that opportunity. So thank you Cheryl wherever you are.