Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How did you learn to make quilts >
  • How did you learn to make quilts

• How did you learn to make quilts

Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by melslove
    youtube and websites and the QB board :)
    Excellent resources. All of the above plus a few classes.
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 AM

Self taught here,from a magazine pic.I cut out the little strips by hand & went from there to make a K size quilt.
    The question for me, was what made me stay with quilting? Don't know, but I sure love & use all the quilting equip we can find in shops & from ppl on here.
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 AM

A friend came over last Sept and we made a quilt in a day - trip around the world. We finished the top in a day. Sewed, sewed, sewed and the hubby supplied us with food/no breaks...and my first time using a rotary cutter. and first time on a sewing machine in 20 years...but have been hooked ever since....I have learnt from watching videos on the internet, this board, and bought a lot of book...but the books are not as good as watching the videos and getting learning from here...the board also helped me learn how to use my sewing machine,..You guys are AWESOME.
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 AM

Some classes tons of trial and error and much reading.
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:45 AM

A quilt guild and this board, plus a few books and the internet. Still learning.
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 AM

I learned from you!! and all the other great ladies here!! I have not taken any classes yet and I have 2 toppers and 1 rag quilt done. This forum is full of advice.
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 AM

I learned from quilt magazines and library books, then advanced my learning from here on the board and youtube videos and internet tutes. I've never taken a class and never had anyone in my life that I'm aware of who quilted. I just started with simple patterns - rail fence, nine patch - then gradually added slightly more complicated patterns. I tied my quilts in the beginning and slowly worked my way up to SITD and FMQ. You can do it!
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 AM

taking classes and buying books. Besides books of pattterns I buy reference books, they all have something new I can learn.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 AM

Made my first doll quilt when I was 6. A neighbors grandma spent that summer entertaining 4 little girls under age 8 with her sewing skills. We cut 2" squares for our quilts and made pj's for our dolls. All by hand, using feed sack material Mrs. Talley brought from OK. What fun! Been sewing since age 12 but didn't start really quilting until 20 years later. Self-taught, watching quilt shows on TV, books, magazines and have taken lots of classes. It is not a hobby but a lifestyle...lol.

My first quilt was an 8-point star throw...I was insane to try that pattern first but I loved it and didn't know any better.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_1963
    A friend took me to a sewing group she was in, where about 20 women were quilting all on their own machines, I had so much fun, I had to join! Husband had bought me a Brother sewing machine from Walmart and it had sat in the closet for a year before I pulled it out of the box...I think he regretted that! then he had to start pulling me out of the fabric shops! I got bit by the bug and have had the fever ever since! Hope it never goes away! :oops:
    There is no better confession than that of Maggie's!!! She is the one who corrupted me, made me an addict. I've been hooked since September 2010. Here are pictures of me when she first got me hooked!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-145779.jpe   attachment-145780.jpe   attachment-145781.jpe