Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how did you learn to quilt?  also, beginner machines. >

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 AM

I learned because out of the blue, my daughter asked if I could make her one. I never really sewed before! It was close to summer holiday, so while on vacation in France, I found a small little quilt shop and during a rare heat wave, the owner sat with me and gave me a beginner's course, teaching me to work by hand, and sewing machine. I'd recommend finding a good teacher so you can learn the traditional basics, and then take it from there.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 AM

hello and welcome, from Quebec City

Very good advice already. All I can say is

Start small and wait and see if you decide to continue with your dream of having a nice collection of your own homemade quilts!!!

A basic sewing machine is all you need for a start. wait and see

If you can take just a few hours beginner class, that would help you start on something, whatever it is... placemat, potholder, it does not matter and it is small and faster to make
that's how I started

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-98259-1.htm
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 AM

I pretty much am a self taught quilter. At first everything I did was hand stiched. Now I use my old Kenmore machine. I still hand quilt.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 AM

i love hand piecing and hand quilting but wanted to welcome you from iowa good luck in all your quilting adventures
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 AM

Welcome from Central NJ! I have sewn most of my life but prior to quilting was primarily garment and home dec stuff. I am a self taught quilter by watching the Simply Quilts program. The first thing that I discovered was that it seems as though today's patterns really demand the newer tools (rotary cutters/mats/rulers) due to the precision of the patterns. That said, you can pick up these things quite reasonably if you shop the sales. I'm not familiar with the book you mention. You can learn plenty here from all the helpful folks as well as Youtube if you're more of a visual learner. If you don't have a LQS nearby for some hands on help or classes I would suggest starting with a small project - table runners/lap quilt. This way it's not too overwhelming and you get to see a finished project in fairly short order. And although I am a hand quilter, there is absolutely nothing wrong with machine quilting. There are some beautiful quilts out there done by machine. Hand quilting is just my preference. As to machines...look for a good used machine either from a dealer or locally for sale. You can usually get a bigger bang for your buck this way. Look at the various brands that suit your needs and go from there. Craigslist is a great option.

Good luck with your new adventure. Jump in with a small project and then go from there.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 AM

try Eleanor Burn's books She show each step of the way. that is how I started .still follow some of her books.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 AM

My aunt, and a class, on a brother XL-3010. Classes are really helpful when you are beginning. I would get the nicest machine you can afford, one you can grow into, my MIL has my brother XL3010 I got a brother with more stitches, and now I also have a babylock espire, but both brothers still run
Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 AM
Banned

Welcome from central Texas - you will enjoy this great message board filled w/so many caring, sharing quilters. I love this board & have learned SO MANY tips & new techniques.

I learned by going to a class put on thru Adult Education classes (when I was in my mid 50's). Don't think I would have ever learned "on my own".

As for a machine, I'd love to have one of the fancy ones most on here have...but I still use the very BASIC PLAIN JANE I had over 25 yrs ago when I learned. (I hand-quilt)

Good luck & look forward to hearing from you again.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love. :lol:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 AM

Welcome from Georgia, USA. I taught myself to quilt by just jumping in. The person that encouraged me to start was a machine piecer/hand quilter, which I tried, but I am a machine piecer/machine quilter. All I can say is start with simple blocks and don't get discouraged. Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 AM

I too am new didn't think I would tell this but I got one this board and they were talking about fat quarter quilts so I sewed fat quarters together. Beleive it r not my grand kids loved them yes I did more than one before I figured it out. Lol just jump in. And welcome from Fairhope Alabama