Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how did you learn to quilt?  also, beginner machines. >

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 AM

Hi Kristel, Welcome! I was a self taught quilter a long time ago; I had bought a book at the time but did not ever follow all the instructions. :)

A few years ago I had more time on my hands and started quilting again. I got a lot of help at http://quilting.about.com. Whenever I needed instruction or a refresher on a particular step, that site had the answer! Step by step instructions are provided with pictures, for example on how to make and attach binding, or how to make a mitered border. I even got my first few block patterns there.

Now, when I want to learn a new technique I usually buy a book about it, usually on Amazon, or buy a pattern at the quilt store or download a pattern from the internet. I have learned a lot on this board too. I acquired my love of paper piecing here!

As for machines, they are like motorcycles. If you own a basic one, just use that for now. As your skills increase and you find out what you really want to do, then you can shop around for something more sophisticated. That way hopefully you will only have to buy your dream machine once. I hope this information is helpful. Happy quilting!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:04 AM

I learned from my grandmother when I was 17 and didn't want to learn, but wanted to be with friend. Now that she is gone, I really could use Grandma's help. I took what she taught me and ran with it to do clothes, curtains, pillows and such. Then went into quilts. I took classes at the LQS and the library. Check out your library or church to see if there are people that get together and quilt. Mine does.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 AM

I started hand piecing and used templates. I was instructed by an American woman that I befriended in Australia. I have since progressed to rotary cutting and machine piecing and quilting.The best machine to use is one with a wide throat or harp.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 AM

Eleanor Burns quilting show was on every Saturday morning at 8. I watched it faithfully and learned most of the basic quilting principles from her shows and she really got me inspired. That was quite a few years ago. I have taken lots of classes along the way and learn lots of new things every time.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 AM

I have sewn clothing, curtains, etc. as long as I can remember. About 10 years ago the only thing in the early mornings on TV worth watching was Simple Quilts. I didn't paying attention much until the day they did Stack-n-Whack quilting. I fell in love with the graphics of the kaleidoscope. I've been hooked every since.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 AM

I learned quilting fom just typing in quilt sites basic quilting. I was so happy to come across this site has been very helpful. As far as sewing you can learn off the computer as well. I already new the basic for sewing before I started quilting. Take your time and just take simple blocks and before you know it your getting better and you extend to more blocks. But be ready to rip out and don't get upset it's part of quilting. We'll all cheer you on ,just let us know when you need help, as there is always someone who will get you on the right track.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Wecome from Mich. My girlfriend taught me to Quilt I have 3 singers 2 brothers a simplicity and a serger. I keep very busy!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 AM

I learned from my mother and grandmother. Each had their own way of doing a quilt, but I have melded those together to make the quilts I make. I am basically self taught (books,several senior friends also taught me when i was younger-I would go to the senior center with my DH wonderful Grandmother and learn from those ladies), I watch quilting programs and come on here and learn more everytime I look at a quilt.
So the moral of the story is: never stop learning how to quilt, pass it on if you can; children are sponges when it comes to learning new things! Everyone's technique is different and something can be learned from each.
I have a Brother embroidery and a Brother sewing machine, a serger as well. (not only do I quilt but I sew clothes for my grands !LOL)
Welcome to the board and never stop learning !!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Being a 4-H leader I believe in the motto - Learn by doing. I just cut a bunch of squares out and sewed them together by hand. That was in the days before rotary cutters and mats and rulers. Then I used some boards with denim tacked to them to make a quilt frame and put the quilt on it and hand quilted it. I did not have anyone helping me or any books and that was before the internet too - so no help there. It turned out great. Did the same thing with my second attempt only picked a harder pattern. Put that in the county fair and not only won first place, but also Best in Women's division!
Now, many years later, I am thrilled with all the new goodies...internet for lots of info, rulers, cutting mats, rotary cutters... Have a great time learning and enjoy.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 AM

I just learned when I was a newly wed 52 yrs. ago by doing it. Right or wrong I made several quilts within the first year. A lot of things were done differently back then as we now have so many more tools and better machines and a lot of lessons available. I had watched my mother and grandmother, but never really helped them much. I used the living room floor as many still do.