Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you learn to use a thimble? >

How did you learn to use a thimble?

How did you learn to use a thimble?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 AM

My DMIL gave me one and said I should use one. I think it was when I wanted to learn to do crewel embroidery. I think she said to put it on my finger when I sew and just get used to the feel of it, and it just came along. I was used to it by the time I learn to quilt which was by hand. Now I can't imagine sewing anything by hand without it. I have a number of different ones. When it is hot I like a leather one I have but otherwise my fave for quilting is a metal one with raised side edges.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 AM

"As I was about to despair I found a cheapo plastic one that fit perfectly, and I could finally stop concentrating on keeping it on my finger and focus on my stitches. That worked for about a year, then the plastic wore through "
I got a chuckle out of this...I also had a plastic thimble like that, it was a hand out from an aspiring politician and had "I like Dike" printed on it. I have never had a thimble before or since that fit as well. I too wore a hole right through it and it eventually just split in half. I managed to eek out more use with well place duct tape for a while but eventually had to give it a decent burial. I now use a soft plastic one with a metal tip, but still have never found one like that cheap plastic one....Oh Mr. Dike, if you are still out there and have some spare thimbles can you send me one?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM

I have a thimble that was my grandmother's, and its worn so smooth on the inside, it's very comfortable. If you can find a thimble that fits snuggly on your finger without being too tight, that will be a start. Mine fits so that I can stop sewing, perhaps look up a pattern, cut more thread or even pet the dog, and the thimble won't come off - I hardly feel it - almost like its a part of my hand. If you can find a thimble like that, it will be easy to just put it on and use that finger to push the needle through. I also have some cheap thimbles that are rough, too loose or pinch. I use them if I am stuck somewhere without anything else, but if that's what I thought a thimble should feel like, I'm sure I would give it up, too. Look for an antique thimble that's " broken in" like mine is, and perhaps you'll give the thimble another chance.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Vera39760 View Post
My DMIL use to fuss at me because I didn't use a thimble. We kept trying all kinds. I finally found one that is metal on the end and rubber or silcone on the base that goes on the finger. I don't know if I would have ever learned if we hadn't found that thimble. I had a tough callous on the first finger of my right hand from sewing without one. It has finally gone away. I still have to remember to get the thimble when hand sewing. But it brings back happy memories of my DMIL who passed away a little over a year ago.

I'm with you. I use the Clover silicon thimble with the metal top. I use the size small, which are hard to find when I need a new one. But the silicon really keeps it on firmly without being too tight.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM

I have tried diffeent types of thimbles and couldn't get use to them. I did discover ThimblePads that work for me. They leather circles with adhesive on one side. They stick to the finger and are reusable. They work for me because I think my problem is one of being able to feel my work rather than comfert.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM

When I was 5 or 6 years old, my Gramma used to embroidery most every evening. One night I asked her to teach me, so she put a piece of adhesive tape around my finger, then the thimble, then gave me a needle. From there my embroidery lessons began and to this day, I CANNOT sew without a thimble. That was about 65 years ago. Thanks Gramma!!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 AM

My grandmother taught me to sew. I started by sewing doll dresses by hand and she insisted I use her thimble. I was only about 9 maybe so her thimble was way too big for me, but she insisted I keep it on so I learned to sew and keep a thimble on at the same time. I have been always grateful for that lesson. Now it seems when I pick up a needle and thread I also pick up the thimble...feels bare without it. And the best part of this story is that I have that same thimble from my grandmother and that is the one I use the most. I feel she is still guiding my hand when I sew. A small thing, but a big impact on my life.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM

Some quilting gurus recommend putting thimbles on all the fingers until you are accustomed to the feel of the one on your main quilting finger. I had one made by a friend who makes and sells thimbles professionally. It is silver and has my birthstone on it; It doesn't go out of the house, but I really make use of it. I also use the dimpled variety with a bandaid inside to make it fit. For the underneath finger, I wrap it in the strong tape vets use to keep pets from chewing on their wounds. Hospitals now use it for wrapping puncture sites.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the info. I need to learn to use a thimble. I have probably bought 20 but can't get one that feels comfortable. Just now ordered the Clover one. I don't have anyone to show me how to use it. Are you supposed to use the end of your finger, or the side? I would really appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM

My grandmother taught me to use a thimble, and to this day I have trouble finding one that fits really well. I have very small hands and its hard to fit the fingers