Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to distribute my new patterns? >

How to distribute my new patterns?

How to distribute my new patterns?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 AM

Best of luck with your new venture!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tildiemae View Post
Also, try Craftsy. I believe they have a program where you can sell your patterns and won't charge you a fee to do it.
Craftsy also highlites different designers/patterns routinely which also helps get your designs out there. They have just said that within the next month, if you are a designer, there will be a special newsletter starting just for designers on their site.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 AM

You need a distributor. Send samples to United Notions, or other similar companies--do a web search. If they like what they see, they'll distribute for you--at a fee. But it's the main way you can go nationwide fast. Word to the wise, the copy, photos and patterns must be commercial and not homemade.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
you're welcome. "Market" happens a couple times a year (I think - shop owners/others who go, correct me if I'm wrong) and brings together wholesalers (fabric & pattern designers) in the quilt industry with shop owners to show off new items. A lot of shops will make a lot of inventory purchases at market or shortly after market from the contacts they made at market. You would have to set up a booth and have patterns/samples available. I'm not sure the cost of market or if at this point in your career as a pattern designer if going to market would be feasible.

If you want national exposure, contact some of the quilt magazines to see if you can place an ad. I've seen many such ads in some of the magazines (usually in the back section). Get to know other quilt stores within a decent driving distance and not only offer you patterns to them but also offer to teach a class (if you're comfortable teaching) and/or make a deal if they'll teach your class just so you can get exposure.
I've been to market. Many of the vendors have an ONLINE store ONLY. This is easily done with a website. Check with Patrice about listing your patterns here for sale. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 AM

You will also need to figure in the commission you will pay for each pattern sold.
Sandy
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 AM

And professional looking in regard to the printing, packaging and cover photo.
Sandy
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 AM

can we see some of them?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
I've been to market. Many of the vendors have an ONLINE store ONLY. This is easily done with a website. Check with Patrice about listing your patterns here for sale. Good luck.
Too funny. Why would she compete against herself by listing here with a 7 day limit and "no profit" price cap when she can list at retail on any number of other websites. Here's 29 examples to get started.
http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/10/29...creations.html
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM

You could put them in a book form and contact a publisher and see what kind of a deal you can get. It doesn't hurt to ask. Do a self copyright by sending yourself a book dated and keep it sealed when you receive it back in the mail. If it happens someone copies it you have legal recorse with the unopended book postmarked and delivered to you as the date you wrote it; to prove it is yours. Be sure to put your own mark on it.also.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM

What about Craftsy.com? You decide the price and post the pattern...

Anita in Northfield, MN