Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do I cut this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    I had never heard of no seam down the middle either until my neighbor who is a professional seamstress came to help me with backing and told me this.
    The reason is too much stress on the one seam.
    You need to use 3 panels if its a big quilt.
    I don`t worry about this for baby or lap.
    Hope this explains it.
    Gale
    I guess I still don't see it if one is having enough quilting done to more than tack the top to the back. I do know that my method of flat fell seams causes too much bulk along the seam area so have changed that unless I am hand quilting,

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    I had never heard of no seam down the middle either until my neighbor who is a professional seamstress came to help me with backing and told me this.
    The reason is too much stress on the one seam.
    You need to use 3 panels if its a big quilt.
    I don`t worry about this for baby or lap.
    Hope this explains it.
    Gale
    I guess I still don't see it if one is having enough quilting done to more than tack the top to the back. I do know that my method of flat fell seams causes too much bulk along the seam area so have changed that unless I am hand quilting,
    I've been longarm quilting for only a year (4 quilts - 1 big one and 3 smaller). I, too, didn't know about this "rule". I had one seam down the middle of all and it didn't seem to matter. Course, time may show that I should have done 2 seams.

I don't tear my fabric, either....I hate the strings that seem to be more prevalent when tearing.

You have to remember to leave 4-5 inches on each side of the quilt for a Longarm quilter...... if you tear, you may run into a bad situation if the tear goes askew and you end up with 1" along the quilt.

I don't trust my measuring...so, I lay my backing out on the floor, lay my top on top of it, then I mark with a sharpie where I want it cut. Then I fold neatly and leave about 1 foot unfolded....on the end that was marked. Then you can lay it on a smaller table to cut. I've cut as much as 6 layers this way. Yes, you may get an uneven cut, but if you're leaving plenty of extra fabric, it can be dealt with.

I would also fold and cut. Good luck!

donot forget to leave extra on sides so you have a little that will be taking up by quilting

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I learned tonight to sew two pieces together into a tube. Then cut down the center of one piece and you have even distribution on both sides with a wider center piece.
    I can't quite wrap my head around this...can you explain more? :oops:

I learned tonight to sew two pieces together into a tube. Then cut down the center of one piece and you have even distribution on both sides with a wider center piece.
    that's what i would do. sew the 2 pieces together, face to face, along each edge to create a tube.
    press so that the seams are one right above the other. you should have pressed creases in the center of both lengths. open the fabric up and cut along ONE of the crease marks. you'll have a wide band in the center and a narrow band on each side. trim off what you don't need and call it stash. use part for a label.
    it's not a good idea to make a backing with one seam down the middle. it doesn't hold up as well. try for two seams up and down or across.

Tearing is the only way to be sure you are getting a straight edge and if the seam is not centered, who is going to notice?
    I use the folding cutting boards for large pieces of fabric. One just fits on a twin bed, two are as big as a queen size quilt. I shove our beds together and have a nice working surface. If you are fortunate to have floor space that big,lay out the backing to measure and cut or tear.

Carol J.

Blog Entries
    I realize you already have this fabric, but for those that don't and might like to know-- you can get quilt backing fabric in 108" ($5.99 per yd) and natural and white sheeting 118" ($3.99 yd)
    widths at http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/
    Meg

What I would do is cut it into equal thirds instead of two pieces, sew together, measure again, lay under quilt, measure again, baste, check that everything is ok with it, flip over, see what it looks like. If you don't like it flip back over and start again. Before I would cut anything extra off, I would be reallly sure of my measurements and placing.

I also tear long strips of fabric...but make sure to tear you a small strip off the edge to get it all straight before doing your "big" tear. I usually will nip about 1 1/2" from the side, tear that strip off, and then tear the main strips I am after. Helps to make sure the edge is straight before tearing it.

I do what my mom, a seamtress, also does. I crawl around on the floor with my cardboard cutting/measuring board that is 5 or 6 feet long, position my fabric on the correct lines and cut with scissors. that's why leaving 3-4 inches on each side of the backing is so helpful - if I get a _little_ off - it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dunngriffith
    I realize you already have this fabric, but for those that don't and might like to know-- you can get quilt backing fabric in 108" ($5.99 per yd) and natural and white sheeting 118" ($3.99 yd)
    Meg
    Thanks to you for the Marshalls online connection. They have the most selection of backing fabric selection that I have found.
    I also do the tube method (if I cannot find whole cloth backing) because I some times use the back of the quilt as a whole cloth quilt (this means that I have 2 sides of the quilt to decorate the bed.) My children like this because the boys like the solid and the girls like the patchwork side.

Why not get 2 looks for 1 effort. I want the back side to be as beautiful as the front and whole cloth quilts are beginning to show up.
    Gail

I would tear it also. That is one sure way to get a straight edge.

The owners of a couple of LQ here let customers come in and use their cutting tables free, if there is not a class going on. You might ask. All they can say is no. I took one quilt in and basted it on their table. We live in a micro apt and there is no room to work with a big quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by dunngriffith
    Meg
    Thank you so much for the awesome site for fabric!!! I just spent about 20 min looking at all the stuff they have!!!! WOW! How is their shipping & handling price? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    I have some backing fabric for a quilt I am doing for my husband, but it is like 5 1/2 yards long. I have cut the piece in half (width) and I need to piece the back together, so I need to cut about 12 inches off each l-o-n-g side (length). But I only have a 24" cutting mat and ruler, so logistically how to I cut a straight line down the long edge? I'm sure some of you veteran quilters can offer some advice for me. Thanks so much!
    I would wait until after you have finished quilting your top and then trim it off before you put the binding on. You will be surprised as to how much gets taken in with the quilting and you make take off more than you should if you are inexperienced.

Tearing it scares me to death!
    It's OK I do it all the time. I have to admit that the first time I did it I was scared to death.
    Try it you'll like it. :)

Hey Mad, that sounds great. I will have to try it. Thanks.

Another vote for tearing.

If I understand you correctly you need a backing. Unless it is extra wide why did you cut it on the width. You should have cut 2 pieces 12" longer than the length of the quilt, then you would have 6" on the top and bottom for safe quilting. Take the 2 pieces and sew together the length and make this seam the center of the back then you can tear off what you need to from the sides making sure you leave about 6" on each side for safe quilting.

Hope this makes sense.

HI, I would put the full width down the center and then rip the width I needed for each side. so no seam down the middle that is the way it is usually done....
    http://blog.wishuponaquilt.com/uncat...uilt-back.html

this is the best http://quilting.about.com/od/finishi..._backing_3.htm

I have some backing fabric for a quilt I am doing for my husband, but it is like 5 1/2 yards long. I have cut the piece in half (width) and I need to piece the back together, so I need to cut about 12 inches off each l-o-n-g side (length). But I only have a 24" cutting mat and ruler, so logistically how to I cut a straight line down the long edge? I'm sure some of you veteran quilters can offer some advice for me. Thanks so much!
    Why not get a metal tape measure and work out the length and make 2 cuts so you can keep what is over in one piece.

Blog Entries
    So far I keep looking but haven't bought so I can't say.

Power Poster
    I would sandwich, quilt and then cut off the extra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2