Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how do i help a friend thats miles away to quilt?

Be sure to talk about her son. When I lost my daughter, nobody mentioned her name. I know they were afraid it would upset me, but I was already upset. I wanted to talk about her. Take your cues from her, but don't avoid talking about him, and use his name when you speak about him. Also, don't forget his birthday. She won't.

Quilting is great therapy. And the added benefit of friendship and companionship will be good. Blessings to you and your friend!

I live in Lakeland, Forida and am also in the process of making two memory quilts for a second cousin of my DM'S who lost her husband and youngest daughter within six months of each other. It has been a challenge, but also a healing process for me. I remember both of them wearing most of the clothes and also have pics of them in family photo albums.
    I'm so sorry for your friends loss of her son especially at such a young age. Please do suggest that your friend join this board she'll get more help and suggestions.

Take a weeks vacation and go visit her. You could teach her the basics while you're there. I visit my two friends
    in Stuart, Fl. every year for some shop hopping and doing some projects together. It is so wonderful. I cherish the time we spend together sewing.

God bless your friend and may she find peace in the art of quilting a memory of her son.

Take a weeks vacation and go visit her. You could teach her the basics while you're there. I visit my two friends
    in Stuart, Fl. every year for some shop hopping and doing some projects together. It is so wonderful. I cherish the time we spend together sewing.

God bless your friend and may she find peace in the art of quilting a memory of her son.

I would tell her find a local quilt shop. They are always willing o help.

Power Poster
    Prayers to you and your friend, such a horrible thing. Good luck with helping her make a quilt.

community benefactor
    I made 2 quilts out of my friend's shirts. As he wore mostly cotton button shirts (and saved everything) I had pleanty of material. I just did 4" squares in order to take advantage of all the material.

I will be praying for your friend.

My prayers are with your friend & you

If she is going to use his t-shirts, tell her to iron lightweight stabilizer to the back of each design before cutting. T-shirt material "moves" too much otherwise.

Yes, Skype is free all you need is a camera in your computer or you can add a small camera for about $20.

Quote Originally Posted by GwynR
    My friend lost her 19 yr old son two weeks ago in a hit and run accident. He was on his bike. Now she is asking me how to make a quilt out of his old clothes. She is in Fla and I am in Wa. Anyone on here from around Ormond Beach?
    She may really be asking YOU to do the quilt without actually asking. I think you need to assess that first. Talking with you about his clothes might be the therapy she needs to get her through the next few weeks. I don't think she would be able to cut up his clothing this close to his death. Poor thing. You are a great friend to help her through this troubled time. My prayers for all of you.

My sister-in-law and I use Skype to talk and quilt together almost every day. She lives in Fla and I in KY. It is free and we have some much fun doing this. If one of us doesn't know how to do something we can work it out together. If you have a computer and a webcam and she also has this I would suggest this. I think you would enjoy it. We do.

so sorry for your friends loss, invite her in here , there will be plenty of help day or night

You are a good friend. My heart goes out to her, and to you for helping.

Power Poster
    Sorry to hear of your friends loss. There are lots of tutorials here and maybe she can look for a quilting guild where she lives.

http://www.bluebirdgardens.com/?real...lothes+Quilts+

sorry for your friends loss, here is a page with a great memorie quilt.
    connief

As a mother of a 23yo college student who rides his bike to get around in the city, my heart totally breaks for your friend! I can't imagine the grief she is experiencing... I hope she is able to make a quilt she is happy with and that it brings her some comfort to wrap up in memories of her son. My prayers are with her and the rest of the family and friends who have lost this young man.

Go look on YouTube and find some videos that would be helpful and email them to her. I think it is easy to follow when I can watch how something is done and then reply it as often as I need to.

there is also this tute on how to make a quilt from a man's shirts.

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html

best wishes to your friend, my sincere condolences

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

My heart goes out to her and her family. I lost my son in May 2005, Thursday after Mothers Day and the following Sunday we disconnected life support. I know how much it hurts. Christmas is terrible and will be worse for her. She might try the cotton shirts first or his jeans. She may not be able to actually do it. It may be too difficult. Please support her. I have not been able to make one yet from my son's clothes. I want to this coming year. There are patterns for T-shirt quilts she might try. My son was killed three months before his son was born. I would like to make a quilt for him out of his Dad's clothes. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me. I am in NY state but I will do whatever she needs.

community benefactor
    I recently made two quilts out of my partner's shirts. We had been together 25 years. One of the quilts was for his mother. And you are correct, this time of year is very hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2