Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I move my stash and stuff? >

How do I move my stash and stuff?

How do I move my stash and stuff?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Bev, I am right outside of Ocala, where are you moving to?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Prism99
Bev, your avatar is showing up with "regular" under your name now!
I just ran back and checked it, and you're RIGHT!!! What did I do to deserve such an honor!!? I think it's because since I started this thread I've been yammering away, or maybe not. I just don't know. It seems to me that I spend way, way too much time on this board just yammering away.
Thank you for being so observant. 8-)
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Bev, your avatar is showing up with "regular" under your name now!
OOOOoooooooo does that mean I get to go shopping now!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Bev, if you live in Gainesville and are a member of the day guild (if I correctly recognize you from your photo) you could always box up what you want to divest of at the October Treasure Sale. Perhaps a good friend could sell what you wish to make money on without any "right now" hassles of shipping and payments, and send you the proceeds - at least it'd be out of your face quickly enough since time is short. You could also have an Open House, whereby guild members and friends could stop by and make an offer on what you wish to sell (add cookies and coffee and I'll bet you'd be inundated!). Just a few ideas, anyway!
Thanks Mar ... I think the "Open House" is a good idea. I wouldn't want to ask anyone to keep my stuff hanging around in their house until Oct. Boy, now that you mention it, I sure am going to miss those October treasure sales. I've picked up some great stuff over the years. BTW, I've written out directions for the event of my premature death. DH is to have a big "Quilters Only" sale and do the coffee & cookies thing. My daughters will be glad to help him, I'm sure. That way I'll know for sure that the people who get my stuff will take care of it the way I would. What do ya think, good idea?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by janedennis
Bev, I am right outside of Ocala, where are you moving to?
I'm moving back to St. Augustine by the beach! I am SO looking forward to it. We're kind of beachless here in G'ville, and I do love the water and sand. This is the first time in my life I've lived without being able to look out the window and see, even if in the far distance, the beach. It makes a difference. 8-)
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM

Pack your dishes and breakable in your fabric. Sort out what you want and don't want. Have a moving sale for what you don't want.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 PM

I just moved in Nov. I used totes and my fabric was organized with the fabric boards that I think we are all using. I did use a few boxes, but I that time I was out of totes. If you save the receipts for the totes, you can use them for moving expenses on your income tax. Plus the best thing about totes, if they do get put into storage, and storage has leaks, your fabric is protected. And when they are empty, they can be stacked and used later. My sewing machine and most used things (quilting or sewing) was packed in my blazer, so they were packed and unpacked by me. I've learned that accidents happen, but it's not so bad if I do it, rather then one of the kids or a another helper helping us move. Some people just don't care and we had a couple of those in this last move. Good Luck
Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM

1. Check the local pennysaver newpaper, I have always seen packing boxes for free in there. just come and pickup.
2. Get a bright colored bucket with handle(dollar store). In the bucket put a couple of rolls of tape(slide one roll on the handle, makes it easier to use and stick the end of the tape to the side of the bucket, markers(see below item 3, scissors for the tape(tie them to the bucket handle). A steno pad and pen, for notes while you are packing. Your portable house or cell phone(so you dont pack it :)and you dont kill yourself trying to jump boxes to find the phone) This has saved me so many times during moves. The bucket can easily go from room to room and you dont have to look for supplies
3. Go to the dollar store and buy the MEGA(really really big) permanant markers in Red and Black. Mark all your sewing/quilting boxes with big Q or S on ALL the sides. You can choose different letters for each room too, K for kitchen, P for potty, BR for bedroom. That way no matter what side is showing in the box stacks you can find it. Anything that is breakable gets a big red X from corner to corner on each side and the letter.
4. If you are having people help you move, take a whole sheet of copy paper and beside each doorway in the new house tack the letter of boxes that match that room on the paper. It really helps. Dont tack to door incase it gets closed.
5. Get a moving box small enough to put in your car. In the box put the following:
a. toilet paper a roll for each bathroom
b. paper towels
c. flash light, night light, and small plug in lamp
d. bar of soap, wash cloths and towels(just one for each person the first night)
e. sheets and blanket/quilt and pillows for your bed(you are going to be tired and not want to look for this at midnight)
f. fork, spoon and knife (one set for each of you)
g. cleaning supplies
h. a box of pasta, jar(screw top) of sauce, and a pot to cook it in for your first meal.
i. hammer, + and - screwdrivers
and any thing else you think you will need the first 24 hours. AND put it in the shower or bathtub so you know where it is and it dosent get stacked under other boxes in the new house.
Congrats on the new home!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Also something I did for the new owner of our house and I should of done for our new house, was to hire a house cleaner. Our new house was a mess, didn't clean frig, stove, bathrooms. We paid to have the carpets shampooed the week prior, but they did a crappy job. When we left our "old" house, it was clean, windows, carpets, bathrooms, cubbards (in/out). I was so depressed having to move to begin with, I got worse after.

It only took our lady about 5 hours and I gave her a bonus for the job that she did. When we move next time, I will be sure to have someone come in and clean before we move in. By the time you backup that truck to the door, the last thing you will want to do is clean. I learned my lesson.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
1. Check the local pennysaver newpaper, I have always seen packing boxes for free in there. just come and pickup.
2. Get a bright colored bucket with handle(dollar store). In the bucket put a couple of rolls of tape(slide one roll on the handle, makes it easier to use and stick the end of the tape to the side of the bucket, markers(see below item 3, scissors for the tape(tie them to the bucket handle). A steno pad and pen, for notes while you are packing. Your portable house or cell phone(so you dont pack it :)and you dont kill yourself trying to jump boxes to find the phone) This has saved me so many times during moves. The bucket can easily go from room to room and you dont have to look for supplies
3. Go to the dollar store and buy the MEGA(really really big) permanant markers in Red and Black. Mark all your sewing/quilting boxes with big Q or S on ALL the sides. You can choose different letters for each room too, K for kitchen, P for potty, BR for bedroom. That way no matter what side is showing in the box stacks you can find it. Anything that is breakable gets a big red X from corner to corner on each side and the letter.
4. If you are having people help you move, take a whole sheet of copy paper and beside each doorway in the new house tack the letter of boxes that match that room on the paper. It really helps. Dont tack to door incase it gets closed.
5. Get a moving box small enough to put in your car. In the box put the following:
a. toilet paper a roll for each bathroom
b. paper towels
c. flash light, night light, and small plug in lamp
d. bar of soap, wash cloths and towels(just one for each person the first night)
e. sheets and blanket/quilt and pillows for your bed(you are going to be tired and not want to look for this at midnight)
f. fork, spoon and knife (one set for each of you)
g. cleaning supplies
h. a box of pasta, jar(screw top) of sauce, and a pot to cook it in for your first meal.
i. hammer, + and - screwdrivers
and any thing else you think you will need the first 24 hours. AND put it in the shower or bathtub so you know where it is and it dosent get stacked under other boxes in the new house.
Congrats on the new home!
Wow! This is great! Thanks so much. I'm printing this out so that I can follow it as the time gets closer. Looks like you've had lots of experience.
Thanks a million. 8-)