Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you approach scrappy? >

How do you approach scrappy?

How do you approach scrappy?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 PM

I get my placement the way I want it...snap a picture on my phone...then use the picture as a guide when I'm piecing.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Depends on the quilt. I did the Road to Oklahoma in all scraps except for the center block of each was one color. From there I just grabbed a triangle and added. No problems and I love it. I just try not to lay two similiar colors together. Scraps are scraps.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 AM

I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of foam insulation. Cut it in half and covered each piece in flannel.
Proped it up close to my machine and cutting table and layed out the pieces . I pined each row together one at a time, pressed and replaced them in order. Also when sewing the rows together I kept a post it with an arrow to
remind me which way to press the rows. This worked very well when making a half hexie top using 3 jelly rolls. Not
much room in my lab .. the two halvs store behind a cabinet when not in use. Brenda from Wadesville IN
Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 PM

When I cut out the pieces, I evenly divide each color or fabric into 4 stacks (quadrants). Then I pick up and sew randomly. I use all the fabrics in each quadrant before moving on to the next making sure they are evenly distributed. After getting the rows sewed, by quadrant, I lay them out. if I have to move something, I just flip a row. I hope this makes sense.

I have used the paper plate thing, when I do have to lay it out, and i have to say, it works really well. I draw an arrow on the plate to show which direction to iron each row so they nest well. Don't forget to number the paper plate with the row number. Saves a lot of confusion. I re-use them, too.