Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands? >

how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands?

how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 AM

Paul Harvey said during flu season he used to salute.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I put out both hands, and I place their hand in between mine. This is MY version of a handshake :wink:

I have fibro and arthritis in my hands, and this works for me :wink: I will explain if I get a quizzical look that my ol' hands get hurt easily. :D:D:D
How lovely. I would be so touched by your gesture. It is so loving and honest at the same time.

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 AM

I wish we could do away with shaking hands. I genuine smile would be enough or a pat on the shoulder. Not only painful to some but spreads germs.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 AM

I wish we could do away with shaking hands. I genuine smile would be enough or a pat on the shoulder. Not only painful to some but spreads germs.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Lots of good suggestions, I hadn't thought of some of these but will definitely give them a try!!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 AM

I have this problem with shaking hands also. I like this version of taking thier hand in between both of mine. Thanks

Originally Posted by amma
I put out both hands, and I place their hand in between mine. This is MY version of a handshake :wink:

I have fibro and arthritis in my hands, and this works for me :wink: I will explain if I get a quizzical look that my ol' hands get hurt easily. :D:D:D
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Banned

I keep my purse in front of me in social situations,clutched with both hands.Usually I can get by with a hello and nod. If they do shake,their hadn is out there and you have a chance to grasp how is comfortable for you.A purse and a sweater over your arm really makes a good shield.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by liblueeyes66
?
A gentleman at church that can't shake because the meds he is on makes it easy for him to get germs makes a fist and just gently touches his hand to anothers fist.
And he just politely says to new people I can't shake the normal way but I do this... and explains.[/quote]

I love this! Shows a sense of humor and compassion for those who truly mean no harm. ;)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 AM

I am so interested in all your replys. I am fairly young (52) and have had RA for about 10 years, it is the worst in my hands, so shaking hands is very painful sometimes, if I flinch sometimes when people shake my hands, I explain nicely that I have arthritis in my hands, most of the time they look at my hands and then look at me and say "Your hands look normal to me." Isn't that the rude? My next reply is usually, "I thank God, and the medicine that works so well for that."
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy S.
Originally Posted by toomanycats
I have arthritis in my hands and some days is very painful and sensitive. It hurts alot to have someone grab a hand. How do you polietly refuse to shake someones hand that is offered without looking like I am nuts or stuck up?
I have RA in my hands and I just make sure that only the tips of my fingers get grabbed when shaking hands. Bend at the nuckles with your fingers at a 90 degree or so. You thumb will automaticly stop them from grabbing your whole hand. It gets easier as you go. Good Luck and lots of hugs.
this was my idea also. I have used it and it does work.