Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you call that quilting technique ? >

how do you call that quilting technique ?

how do you call that quilting technique ?

Old 11-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Question how do you call that quilting technique ?

Hi quilters!

I am totally new in quilting, I am fascinate by some drawing we can see on finish quilt.
it can be swirl, square, flowers, and it s made by sewing machine I think?! this has been made only with a sewing thread and the finish is fantastic, so impressive to see how the looks is repetitively well done
how do you do that? what quilting technique are we speaking of?

thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-09-2015 at 03:53 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link
Old 11-08-2015, 08:19 PM

It is called free motion quilting(FMQ is the acronym most commonly used here) This can be done on a regular sewing machine or on a longarm machine. How the design is transfered can have different methods, You can use stencils, you can use all over design, or you can freehand it as in the picture
Old 11-08-2015, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

What Dolphyngyrl said.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Welcome to the board from Texas.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 PM

Welcome to the board. With FMQ you have the quilt sandwiched together, pins or special spray glue or elmers school glue. Then mark with any tool, chalk, frixion pen etc which can be removed after quilting. then try to keep on the lines. Your stitch length is slightly larger as well. Thread can blend in or show clearly. Pair of gloves to help with holding and manoeuvring the quilt. Patience and time required to master this beautiful technique.
Try on sample pieces to get it flowing freely. Relax.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Power Poster

I would probably just doodle the sun on but like others mentioned you can also use a drawing or stencil.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board. First of all, this quilt technique is called free motion quilting. It can be done on a domestic sewing machine or larger machine set on a frame called long arm. On my Bernina, I normally chose a continuous stencil such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Christmas-...gAAOSwhcJWKHze
If the fabric is darker, I will use powder chalk to mark the stencil on the quilt top. I would then start at the top loop and continue quilting moving the quilt as I go following the line until I reach the end of the stencil. It takes practice to learn FMQ. You may check at your local Quilt shops to see if they offer any classes.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 AM

You accomplish this with PRACTISE, PRACTISE AND MORE PRACTISE. Personally, I give that job to smeone else.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lynaldine View Post
Hi quilters!

I am totally new in quilting, I am fascinate by some drawing we can see on finish quilt.
it can be swirl, square, flowers, and it s made by sewing machine I think?! this has been made only with a sewing thread and the finish is fantastic, so impressive to see how the looks is repetitively well done
how do you do that? what quilting technique are we speaking of?

thanks!
In addition to what the other posters wrote, Some LA machines are computerized so a motif can be duplicated exactly on numerous areas of the quilt because it is computer driven. Some motifs a done following a pattern called a pantograph (also done on a rack mounted machine, usually longarm or midarm). The pattern is set on a table and the quilter follows the design using a stylus or a laser light mounted to the machine.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 AM

waw impressive ! ok I understand, what a job ! thank you for your precious help I will start on a small project so haha, can't imagine how it can be hard to do that kind of job on a big blanket ouf! it s good for workout arms muscled too