Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting process/technique keeps you humble? >

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 AM

Default What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

I've been quilting just over 2 years now, which isn't very long, but I've been a pretty prolific quilter during that time; I've made over 30 quilts now (only counting actually FINISHED quilts...more if we count tops!). My friends & family are all non-quilters and they fill my head with praise and sometimes convince me that I'm really very good at this.

Then I work on a quilt with triangles and remember that in a lot of ways I am still very much a beginner! I'm working on a Carpenter's Star (Carpenter's Wheel?) quilt that is destined to be a wedding gift so I'm trying to make it as perfectly as possible, but I have always had trouble with even the simplest HST's so I'm having to go super slow and careful to make this turn out OK! I'm going to be extremely proud of myself if I manage not to lose any points on this one!

So I just got to thinking and wondering - what is the style/process/pattern/technique that is tricky for you, that makes you feel like a beginner again? I'm sure we must all have at least ONE thing we're not all that great at!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM

Oh there are so many, where do I start.... I still struggle with sandwiching and basting quilts. This keeps me from finishing my tops. There is a Youtube video by a lady (Sharon Schamber) that wraps each layer in a board and rolls them. I am going to try that next. I have a bad back and an injured shoulder so there doesn't seem to be an easy way for me. Congratulations on all of your quilts!!!

Last edited by GrammaNan; 07-03-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:14 AM

I'm with GrammaNan, where to start!! Lol! I have been at this for about six years and I don't think I've made 30 yet. I am still busy with kids at home, though, plus I'm very slow.
Anyway, I still struggle with hst's. I make them big and cut down, but I would really like to get where I can make them perfectly and maybe just sliver trim. I also hate making flying geese with flippy corners. I need to try Eleanor Burns technique.
I'm sure there are plenty of of other techniques that I need work on, but I'll leave the list with just those 2. Gina
Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Mitering pieced borders, setting triangles for on point designs, free motion quilting and this block:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481432[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

The triangle in a square unit - pictured above.

I have a tough time getting it "right"
Old 07-03-2014, 06:59 AM

I do pretty well with piecing techniques now. I am still a novice at appliqué and free motion quilting. I have been practicing my FMQ a lot lately. I can see some progress, but it hasn't totally clicked with my brain yet. I have done 3 appliqué projects so far. I plan to master it this year.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM

I avoid curved piecing.
However, basting is no longer a pain for me since I found Elmer's glue.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM

all of them. one of the reasons i love quilting is the mindfulness it requires. even things i have done over and over need my attention. there's nothing quite like sewing a straight 10" run only to discover i wasn't holding the fabric straight and have to rip out and re-do the seam.

aileen
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting a loooong time and it all still keeps me humble. Sometimes an intricate pattern goes together beautifully and sometimes a simple pattern will kick my butt.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have been quilting a loooong time and it all still keeps me humble. Sometimes an intricate pattern goes together beautifully and sometimes a simple pattern will kick my butt.
It is kind of annoying when one realizes one put a four-patch unit together incorrectly!!!!