Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting process/technique keeps you humble? >

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM

A Tumbling Blocks Quilt would be at the top of my list. Second would be a Dear Jane.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM

I tried a long arm & did NOT like it! still don't!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM

mckwilter: Thanks for the link. I'll try it on my current project
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Gramma Nan - I love Sharon Schamber's method. It is so much easier than basting on the floor!!

Sewnoma - I can't believe you have made 30 quilts in two years. That is impressive! I have been quilting in earnest for 6 months and my tally is nowhere near yours! I don't mind the planning, cutting, piecing, basting, SID and hand stitching the binding. I have even done a little hand quilting and enjoy that. My downfall is FMQ. I want to do It but I am so hesitant to actually do it on a quilt which I had already spent so much time on. I'm afraid I will ruin it.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I avoid curved piecing.
However, basting is no longer a pain for me since I found Elmer's glue.
I got the Curvemaster presser feet attachments and it makes sewing curves so easy.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Gramma Nan - I love Sharon Schamber's method. It is so much easier than basting on the floor!!

Sewnoma - I can't believe you have made 30 quilts in two years. That is impressive! I have been quilting in earnest for 6 months and my tally is nowhere near yours! I don't mind the planning, cutting, piecing, basting, SID and hand stitching the binding. I have even done a little hand quilting and enjoy that. My downfall is FMQ. I want to do It but I am so hesitant to actually do it on a quilt which I had already spent so much time on. I'm afraid I will ruin it.
How have you done so many in such a short time. I average about 1 a year if that
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Applique has kicked my butt, looking to tackle it next year so I can finish a wedding present. Also looking and diving into pp and triangles real soon. My first PP didn't go so well now that I have lots of crafst classes with great instruction and access to teachers I have no excuse anymore
Old 07-04-2014, 03:51 AM

I have macular degeneration and it really humbles me to think of how I have wonderful lights and still struggle with piecing my quilts, and then realize that my grandmother had to make quilts with scrap fabrics and by a kerosene lamp. We are all troopers in our own way, doing what we can the best we can.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have been quilting a loooong time and it all still keeps me humble. Sometimes an intricate pattern goes together beautifully and sometimes a simple pattern will kick my butt.
Yes, Tartan has it right. Sometimes, it is the simple ones that will kick you in the "bacon"
Old 07-04-2014, 04:49 AM

Deciding how to press the seams to get the best finish. Sometimes, pressing to one side so they nest together makes the best finish, other times pressing open works best. But, you have to make the decision at the start! I usually get half way through my blocks and realize I should have pressed them differently.