Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting process/technique keeps you humble? >

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I've been sewing for about 15-20 years, but I still get cold feet when it comes to FMQ. I chicken out and do SID, or I use the quilting designs of paper on a roll, especially on borders, or I do simple diamonds on the borders and cross hatching. I'm told that I make beautiful quilts, however, I really get cold feet at FMQ, so I just need to jump right in like I did when I first started quilting, with my second quilt being a 110 x 110 inch King size quilt with pieced baskets set on point with sashings, which I quilted on my Sears Kenmore sewing machine. Nobody told me I couldn't do it, and being self taught I really didn't know what I was doing, except from what I learned watching quilt shows and reading books and magazines on quilting. This year I really plan on improving my FMQ skills.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Making a lone star. I've tryed in numerous times but can't seem to get the knack.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Anything that requires seams to match, measurements to be exact, sewing a straight line, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM

I stay HUMBLE. Everything--from quilting and everything in my life keep me humble.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I got the Curvemaster presser feet attachments and it makes sewing curves so easy.
I too bought the Curvemaster presser feet & still haven't opened the package, I'm afraid of it lol.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 PM

I am a very humble beginner but the thing that scares me to death is paper piecing, I haven't even THOUGHT about doing it. I am petrified of paper piecing, there are a few others like curves and FMQ...I am getting pretty good at SITD lol & have the Curve Master feet & that will come in time I'm sure but paper piecing uh uh NO way.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Default Humbling process

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Have you seen the faux piping binding technique? It's all machine sewn. There is at least one YouTube, but here's a link to a .pdf -- http://lvqg.org/media/2a7a5a699c092a...02ffffe415.pdf
Love the piping/ binding tutorial:
My nemesis this year has been mastering the 1/4 in seam as I am making the log cabins for the Amish with a Twist quilt- I seem to have more trouble this year than any other. I use the blue painter's tape to keep me more true and a 1/4 inch foot with no guide. big difference but I have to go slow.. but I am getting there I think.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:32 AM

Flying geese - I seem to lose the points on a lot of them. Any methods that seem to work for you?

Susan
Old 07-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by OldHairTwister View Post
The pool noodles are a great idea. Gonna try it!! Thanks madamkelly
I like this idea, too.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Several quilters have mentioned problems with half-square (or maybe even other) triangles. I found a tool that lets me make them accurately every time and thought you might like to know about it. That is the Accuquilt GO. I cut them on the GO, they are accurate and have no dog ears, and they piece easily.

To piece an exact 1/4 inch seam, I use either a blind hem foot carefully set to a scant 1/4 inch and with the wheel taped down or a 1/4 inch piecing foot. This depends on what machine I'm using. I chain piece.

Try it. You'll like it.