Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting process/technique keeps you humble? >

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

What quilting process/technique keeps you humble?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:54 AM

Sometimes I fret over getting everything just perfect for my quilts. Who ever invented the seam ripper had me in mind!! But then I remember that only God is perfect, and the little mistakes I make only add "inventive character" to my quilting creations.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 AM

"Y" or inset seams are my nemesis. Tried several times and was never pleased, so now I avoid them. Fortunately, there are lots of wonderful patterns without them.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:34 AM

....been doing this for almost 20 yrs..wow! Thinking of all the "challenges" that have come and been conquered....some good, some UFOs........I enjoy all if it......and each one is a study in patience......the one I have completely shied away from is Double Wedding Ring.....had a neighbor, who was a prolific and wonderful quilter, did one and told me she would never do another.....but, now I have a GO and there is a die for it...so maybe there if a DWR in my future......
Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 AM

90 degree points on my bindings. After once hearing judges pay significant attention to perfect 90 degree points, I can't say I've ever accomplished what they looked for. I just had my LAQ attach binding to the front of a quilt (at a cost) so that when I hand sew to the back, the corners were already created perfectly. Not sure if she does that while it's on the LA or not. It's a queen-size quilt so putting the binding on by machine would be challenging to get it straight with that much size hanging over my small sewing machine table.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Oh, my! What a question! I am humbled by triangles and anything bias. Curved seams. Getting things to measure what they are supposed to measure. Need I go on? And to complicate matters, when I get to "simple" sewing as in a mug rug with a purchased insert..to get the corners to be corners and not look so 'homemade.' Some days just make me wonder why I am so intent on mastering all of this! I used to sew better when I was in my teens...and I know way more now....and have more experience! Go figure!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I made my first quilt in 1976 and have made literall hundreds of them over the years- that being said... Flying geese still stress me out! I have learned a process that for me the best one I've found, but boy, they still make me stop and think... Do I really want to make this??? I push myself-force myself to bite the bullet and make them- but, they sure sometimes make me feel like a beginner! yup-keeps me humble
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 AM

I started laughing when I read your post because all of it keeps me humble. Just when I think I have something down pat, I find out I wasn't even on the right page. I was using my walking foot a few days ago and I decided I just hate that thing because I can't get it to work right. But the last time I used it, I loved it. It's good to be humble. A friend used to say "being humble and wearing a slip are alike because if it shows, it's 'tacky'.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 AM

I've been quilting for 20+ years and am still humbled by many things. All of my quilting was by hand until about 8 years ago so FMQ always intimidates me. And I can't for the life of me get 60degree star angles with many points coming together in the center to work on the machine. I needed to get 2 of them done for a special quilt and ended up doing them by hand believe it or not. I always push through though and figure out a way to get what I want accomplished. I told myself long ago the fabric will not win, I will! I am proud though that I can do needle-turn appliqué and bindings quite well so that's something.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
Oh there are so many, where do I start.... I still struggle with sandwiching and basting quilts. This keeps me from finishing my tops. There is a Youtube video by a lady (Sharon Schamber) that wraps each layer in a board and rolls them. I am going to try that next. I have a bad back and an injured shoulder so there doesn't seem to be an easy way for me. Congratulations on all of your quilts!!!
you can do the same thing using pool noodles and you can pin into the noodles to keep everything nice and tight. They weigh a lot less to manage too!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 AM

The pool noodles are a great idea. Gonna try it!! Thanks madamkelly