Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind?? >

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I have done log cabins like crazy quilt patterns. Just cut as I go. Kept my color strips in order by cutting 2-2 1/2 inch strips.
works for me.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
I would never use that method! You are a saint to work that hard. I made a log cabin by cutting my strips WOF, then putting the different bags according to color. I cut all my center squares, then started sewing strips to the squares. I cut them apart, then sewed the next strip. It was sort of assembly line and went real fast. I loved making it. I also used 2.5 inch strips. It made a large quilt. Good luck to you. You will be proud of it when you are finished.
Yes, I "learned" this way from Eleanor Burns log cabin book.......actually I am not fond of log cabin, but I must be in the minority.......
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use the Go Log Cabin die. Worth it's weight. When I have scraps that fit any of the log lengths, I cut the logs and sort by color and size. Perfect for string piecing too.
I spent time yesterday researching this and it looks really tempting. I watched a video on the log cabin die and saw in the background the Storm at Sea quilt I had been admiring on several Pinterest boards. I looked and looked at the Accuquilt site for a Storm at Sea die set and didn't find any. That too would be a great thing to have as I plan to make that quilt as well. I will have to do a bit more research but my husband has already said that I could get the GO and some dies for our upcoming anniversary (our 20th is coming up in 2 months) since I had previously said "no gifts necessary".
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I use the 1 1/2 " die in my accu-go, works good.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM

where did you find this method of cutting the logs in strips? It sounds so much easier.
Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I don't cut logs. I sew together long strips to start. Then I cut the strips down to the width for the 1st 2 pieces. Then I add the next color......a long strip with the cut pieces sewn one after another onto that strip. Then I trim them to size and cut the next strip to sew those to. I go on and on..... so much easier.... just keep your colors straight (I usually make one block for a sample). I made a log cabin quilt, queen size, in a week using this method. I can't imagine cutting tons of logs.... that would drive me crazy.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

honeybee, that is a technique that Eleanor Burns made popular. I haven't watched it, but her video on the log cabin probably demonstrates the method: http://www.quiltinaday.com/television/

This is my preferred method for making log cabin quilts.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 AM

honeybee_2000: I plan to use that method for a log cabin I want to make where I am doing a rainbow effect of colors and will use the same fabric for the same log in a group of blocks. The downside to this method is that you don't get much variety in how your blocks look because the same fabric will be in the same place for a number of blocks. That works for some log cabins (like the rainbow one I want to make) but not the ones where you want fabrics and colors really scattered.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 AM

I don't know the answer but maybe I can help with the backache. I finally relieved my aching back by putting bed raisers under my table legs, they come in different heights so you can adjust the table to your satisfaction, never had a back ache again, well when cutting fabric that is.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 AM

I don't cut logs. I sew together long strips to start. Then I cut the strips down to the width for the 1st 2 pieces. Then I add the next color......a long strip with the cut pieces sewn one after another onto that strip. Then I trim them to size and cut the next strip to sew those to. I go on and on..... so much easier.... just keep your colors straight (I usually make one block for a sample). I made a log cabin quilt, queen size, in a week using this method. I can't imagine cutting tons of logs.... that would drive me crazy.
this is the way I learned about 25 yrs ago. Made 2 king sized and one twin in 10 days before Christmas one year. Had to make them before surgery one year which was two weeks before Christmas.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 AM

Oh, me too! Lots less waste as well. Just attach to the strip and cut. Easy!