Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind?? >

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Great question and wonderful answers...I'd like to also say thanks for those suggestions.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles View Post
use a june tailor shape cut plus ruler.......you'll never go back to cutting strips the regular way again.....lol
Same here. Cutting goes SO much faster with that cutter!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think your main problem is that your cutting table is too low. You shouldn't be leaning over to cut. I use Judy Martin's method, and I use silverware trays (as she suggests) to organize the strips. You actually have more cutting to do when you use strips and trim them after sewing.

This is my thread from the first log cabin quilt I made - shows the silverware tray organization.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...in-t23612.html
Fantastic!

I, too, use Judy Martin's method but bought clear and raspberry coloured containers to store the lights and darks ranging from 1.5"x1.5" to 9.5"x1.5" strips
plus a very large container to hold the 18 smaller containers when they are not in use.

Lay the containers on the bed. Put the strips on the design wall. Design eight blocks at a time. Chain piece.

Most fun I've ever had.

Oh! Turn on the TV, relax, cut the strips.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 PM

I've purchased the Accuquilt Go! and love it for the 1 1/2" strips - I never thought I'd get one, but after getting so many positive responses to my query about 2 weeks ago, I took the plunge!
My post / question with all the responses is shown here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...o-t248875.html
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Enjoyed the seven pages of posts and your answering so many questions. Loved the trays, organization tips, and the log cabin quilt. Beautiful.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think your main problem is that your cutting table is too low. You shouldn't be leaning over to cut. I use Judy Martin's method, and I use silverware trays (as she suggests) to organize the strips. You actually have more cutting to do when you use strips and trim them after sewing.

This is my thread from the first log cabin quilt I made - shows the silverware tray organization.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...in-t23612.html
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 AM

I start at the centersquare (the red one) and cut my way through. I have a pattern and check each piece, cut it, place it where it belongs to make the block and when the block is all cut out, I start at the center and sew my way to the last piece of fabric. I do each one by itself. It does take time, but then I know exactly what it is going to look like before I cut it, know where each piece belongs and it is easy-peasy - at least for me it is. I love doing the Log Cabin. Edie
Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
Enjoyed the seven pages of posts and your answering so many questions. Loved the trays, organization tips, and the log cabin quilt. Beautiful.
Seven pages? I have two pages. You can change how many posts show up on a page. It's easier to have more posts on a page for me.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 AM

Check out this 1 1/2", no slip ruler. It is a lot cheaper that a Accu-quilt. I love my strip rulers by Martelli.http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=RUL

Last edited by fayzer; 07-08-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 AM

I love the Log Cabin.......but my logs were always "wobbly"..... then I tried the Creative Grids Log Cabin Trim Tool...... I LOVE IT. and it comes it 2 sizes. NOW I can get back to making log cabin quilts.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 AM

My mind left many years ago, but I know what you are saying. Tartan has nailed it once again. I do cutting for one project until I can't stand it anymore and then go on to another project's cutting. This works for me because the change of pace makes me think I just started so I can't be bored. There are advantages to having your mind become lost, it leaves so much more room for quilting ideas.