Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut and organize scraps >

How do you cut and organize scraps

How do you cut and organize scraps

Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

You need to visit Bonnie Hunter's site: Quiltville. She is all about scraps, lots of free patterns and inspiration. She also has a scrap susers system for cutting and organizing:
http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 AM

Eventually I became frustrated, just like you and having all my scraps in plastic tubs was more work and more frustration for me. So, I just began ironing every piece, squaring it up to whatever size was the largest and then cut every other piece into squares anywhere from 1 and a half inches up to 6 inch squares. I did sort by lights and darks and placed in small clear plastic totes. They stack nicely in the closet or on the floor in a corner. All precut, ironed and ready to go. I just made a quilt top using a variety of 4 and a half inch dark blocks. It turned out rather nicely. Now to put on the binding. But, I think you just have to experiment and find out exactly what does work for you. At first I had tried strips and found those to be chaotic. Have fun finding and experimenting in what works for you!!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I cut mine into usable scraps starting largest to smallest.. Anything less than a fq gets sliced.. I do not applique so misc pieces is not needed..

I cut them into 11x11 all the way down to 2x2 ( anything smaller that can be cut into 1.5 sqs I save for a fellow Qb member for her stamp quilt)

I have a GO.. so I utilize my scraps and match to die - Again starting from largest to smallest..
9in hex all the way down to 2x2...

9 in hex
8.5x8.5
8in rag
apple core (7in)
Big tumbler (6.5x6.5)
Chisel (6.5x3.5)
6x6
brick
5x5
5in rag
4.5 sq
4.5 siggie die (4.5x3)
4x4
small tumbler (3.5x3.5)
3.5sq
3x3
2.5sq
2in/3/in/5in circle
2x2

if i cant get a sq then i use my HST dies..
each of these have their own sterilite clear see thru drawer.. Once it gets full I pull it out and sew, sew, sew..

I do not cut the sqs from my 10.5 sq swap those are stacked nicely on the counter
I do not cut the sqs from Mistesa 6.5 swap either, I store them in sterilite drawers all to themselves

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 10-07-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM

PaperPrincess and Chicca must be my long lost sisters, they said just what I would say! The first time I used Bonnie Hunters systems it took me weeks to go through all my scraps (I actually amused myself by doing one color a day). But now it is an automatic routine after each project to iron and cut up my scraps before going onto the next one. I can see where it may limit future uses for applique, but since I like scrappy quilts, it gets half the work done before my next brainstorm, and challenges me to use my stash first. Now I would cheerfully rent myself out to organize and cut up other people's scraps for them!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I cut min into several sizes of strips, and the smallest ones land in a basket for doing 3.5" crumb blocks.
I also like Bonnie Hunter's site www.quiltville.com for ideas for the scraps. When I want to do one of those, I start collecting a few fabrics and pieces, and put them with the pattern into a large 2 or 2.5 gallon baggie.

Whatever works for you will be the best!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Pending on size, this is what I do....If the piece is still a full width of fabric it going back in the draw of color. If it is 'strippie' then I cut it into strips, 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3" for my string quilts, I have a Bankers box with nothing but assorted precut strings (good use of smaller pieces of leftover bindings). My favorate square size is 6", with that I can make a disappearing patch (4 or 9) or a twisted pinwheel. After those are cut what is left over I sort by both color and type (holiday) and use gallon size zip lock bags, these I then store in a labeled Bankers Box in my closet.
I like using the bankers boxes because they are inexpensive from Staples or Costco, are light weight and stack so well in my closet. At this point in time I probably have enough scrapes and stash to last two life times.....but as long as I keep them organized behind closed doors.....who cares.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 AM

No organization here! I just throw everything in a bin and wait for the next postage stamp swap. Anything leftover from those go into a bag and offered for free here, or listed on Freecycle. Teachers love fabric scraps for their art projects.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm glad you guys came up with all these ideas. I'm really starting to hate my place. It looks like a grenade went off in a fabric store. I can't decide which of your ideas I will go with, but I better do something soon, or I'm going to want to move out...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 PM

I also use Bonnie Hunter's Scrap users system as the base of my "system". Unfortunately, I have yet to get through all my "scraps". I will admit that as soon as (or even before) I get enough strips, bricks, squares, etc for a quilt I start on it. Getting to love scrappy quilts -- love to remember where the fabrics were first used, so I hate to part with them. Her sizes seem very efficient for me. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Linda in MO
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

If it is a big enough piece, it goes on a mini bolt. I keep irregular chunks in one of the drawers of my plastic drawer unit. If it is an irregular scrap, it goes in my scrap plastic tote to be used in a scrap quilt.