Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM

Once burned, twice shy!

I was thankful that I always mark every tool, etc., I take to quilt classes. The person next to me asked to borrow one of my rulers: when we were packing up several hours later, my ruler was nowhere to be found. I asked her to return it and she immediately said it was hers!

I pointed out that my name was on the ruler.

She reluctantly returned it.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM

Currently my only quilting "friend" is my mom...
and since about half of my quilting stuff is hand-me-downs from her (plus I'm gonna go ahead and plead the 5th on having permanently borrowed things from her quilting supplies), she is allowed to borrow my stuff.

I'm going to start teaching some quilting and knitting classes soon, and I'll have to decide what, if any, of my supplies I'll let students use (in-class only). Probably in quilt classes, I won't have anything that students can borrow (they can rent a sewing machine from the store), but with knitting classes, a different pair of needles can make a huge difference if you have any kind of joint or tendon issues in your hands or wrists, so I might let students try out some of my needles as long as they sign them out and return them prior to the end of class.

PS - others have mentioned the fact that the reason they don't share is because they can't afford to go replacing stuff (which is why people only get to use my sewing machine under direct supervision and in my house) but at the same time... one of the reasons that I will loan things out is because I am and always have been short on money. But others have been generous to me, not only with loaned items but outright gifts! and that has allowed me to try out many things I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do. So while I'm careful about when and why I loan things out (and usually loan out older or lower quality supplies), I'm paying it forward for everyone who has ever helped me.

Last edited by mimstrel; 09-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
Once burned, twice shy!

I was thankful that I always mark every tool, etc., I take to quilt classes. The person next to me asked to borrow one of my rulers: when we were packing up several hours later, my ruler was nowhere to be found. I asked her to return it and she immediately said it was hers!

I pointed out that my name was on the ruler.

She reluctantly returned it.
I would have been so embarrassed if I had inadvertently picked up someone else's ruler - and would have been apologizing all over the place.

I wonder if those address labels - with a phone number added to it - would be a good thing to put on everything - so if something was left behind, the finder would be able to return it? Or at least ask - - - one might be willing to let them keep it - - - - maybe - - -

It might also be a good idea to have a check list of things brought along - to make sure one packed everything up when ready to leave.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimstrel View Post
Currently my only quilting "friend" is my mom...
and since about half of my quilting stuff is hand-me-downs from her (plus I'm gonna go ahead and plead the 5th on having permanently borrowed things from her quilting supplies), she is allowed to borrow my stuff.

I'm going to start teaching some quilting and knitting classes soon, and I'll have to decide what, if any, of my supplies I'll let students use (in-class only). Probably in quilt classes, I won't have anything that students can borrow (they can rent a sewing machine from the store), but with knitting classes, a different pair of needles can make a huge difference if you have any kind of joint or tendon issues in your hands or wrists, so I might let students try out some of my needles as long as they sign them out and return them prior to the end of class.

PS - others have mentioned the fact that the reason they don't share is because they can't afford to go replacing stuff (which is why people only get to use my sewing machine under direct supervision and in my house) but at the same time... one of the reasons that I will loan things out is because I am and always have been short on money. But others have been generous to me, not only with loaned items but outright gifts! and that has allowed me to try out many things I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do. So while I'm careful about when and why I loan things out (and usually loan out older or lower quality supplies), I'm paying it forward for everyone who has ever helped me.
I read about a teacher that used a "ransom item" when one of the students borrowed something. I don't remember what it was that she asked for - but it seemed to improve the borrowers' memories!

It might be good to have a distinctive marking on your tools, so they don't get mixed in with other people's things.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;7311335]

I wonder if those address labels - with a phone number added to it - would be a good thing to put on everything - so if something was left behind, the finder would be able to return it? Or at least ask - - - one might be willing to let them keep it - - - - maybe - - -

If I take rulers out I put my name on the edge with a thin permanent sharpie, with clear nail polish over top. It's very small, no one would ever notice it, but it's there in the event of any confusion over what ruler belongs to who.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sap View Post
I've never loaned but the one time I did the person passed and I never got it back.
I loaned a whole set of specialty rulers to a guild member. She died not long afterwards in a car wreck. I never got them back as her kids packed up her house and sold everything to a resell business. Her DD told me she didn't have time to sort things, she wanted the house empty to sell immediately.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:04 PM

I would lend one of my mechanical machines that are worth about $30. Not a computerized one. I've never had someone ask to borrow my tools except for my DIL and she took good care of them and gave them back soon after using them.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Only small things like pins, pencils etc are ok with me. Just about anyone really could come to class and have either forgotten something small or not understood what was needed. Something more major like rulers, irons or cutting mats are usually either available for sale or provided by the teacher. Sewing machine?!? No.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM

Will loan an item at classes to a friend who forgot hers. I also have. All my rulers etc I take to class marked just incase.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 PM

If my sister and I are in the same place, no problem, but we live a long drive from each other and neither of us are prompt at returning things so nothing leaves its' home. On the other hand, she has share much of her stash with me when I first started. She's awesome!