Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about solids?

How do you feel about solids?

The recent thread about batiks inspired me to ask this. How do you feel about solid fabric in quilts? What about when a quilt is made entirely with solids? Do you find it flat or vibrant?

I find that I'm liking solids on their own more and more. I used to find them bland and boring, but now I find that I'm drawn to them whenever I go to the LQS. I really like how they come in so many shades now, though it means that I want to spend more money to buy all the different colours!

I love solids because quilting shows up better on them. A quilter like Sharon Schamber can transform a solid fabric into something magnificent!

Janet

I have not used solids to make anything, but keep collecting a few along. Like you, I am drawn to all the shades. They are so beautiful it is hard to narrow down my choices most times.

I like solids...especially in a bargello. Now that you mention it, I may try all solids as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Banned
    solids are becoming more popular for quiltingmaking with the Modern Quilt Movement.
    The Gees Bend kits gave solid a jump start. They can be flat or vibrant depend on how they are used.
    I do mix with tube quilts and with rail fence as they give definitation.

Solids are good as an accent piece but I'm drawn to prints, florals, etc.

Blog Entries
    i have been using solids in quilts since the mid 70's so i guess i like them- there for a while it was pretty difficult to find them- unless you dyed your own-which i did- it is very nice to find some shops are carrying a larger selection of them- instead of just black & white.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

The only time I have used solids is for bindings.
    Donna

I prefer either marbles or tone on tone. I will use a small amount of solids at times, but still prefer more texture in the color. Pure solids in a quilt, as if using only Kona, would not be my preference.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Barn quilts are very popular in Iowa. I mean the kind where they put a large painted block on the side of a farm building. These block are always solid colors. I've seen a quilt that was a take-off on barn quilts, solid colors for piecing, and set with black sashings. I thought it was striking!

I still find too many solids in large pieces make for a flat quilt (bc/ I've seen some minis that are very cute). Maybe it's b/c my quilting isn't good enough show off on a solid background. Maybe it's b/c I love the variations that come from batiks.

I love solids. Like to mix with prints. Like solid borders also.

Not tipically a fan of solids, prefering a tone on tone. Maybe because there was a time when 100 percent cottons were very hard to find in anything other than a slim selection of calico's and some solids. I made my share of quilts with solids and just am too facinated with the HUGE selection of prints that seem to get even better every year.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think I own one set of solid FQs. Everything else is tone on tone or prints. (muslin excluded). Obviously I am not a big fan.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE solids, especially black. I think it's because I love Amish type quilts so much.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I use solids all the time....either in a bargello where I want no print or very little....or in regular quilt blocks where I want one piece of the block to stand out.....I really am not a fan of large prints, it seems that you need a large block of print by itself in order for it to look good....but that is just me

Using a small amount of a color saturated solid can really make a quilt pop. Think they can look especially good in a narrow border. When nothing else seems to work, try a solid

I'm liking solids more than I ever had before. I am starting to add them into quilts but I just LOVE them as backings. It shows the quilting so well and looks like a wholecloth on one side.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
    The recent thread about batiks inspired me to ask this. How do you feel about solid fabric in quilts? What about when a quilt is made entirely with solids? Do you find it flat or vibrant?

I find that I'm liking solids on their own more and more. I used to find them bland and boring, but now I find that I'm drawn to them whenever I go to the LQS. I really like how they come in so many shades now, though it means that I want to spend more money to buy all the different colours!
    Amish quilts are all solids, and the vibrancy is due to the color interplay.

I prefer tonals but have used some solid in applique

I really like solids. I am trying to branch out, but it isn't easy.

Dina

I like to have at least one solid or a tonal in my quilts. I did not have enough of them for a while. Kona Cottons for plains our my favorite.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I don't care for solids for myself, but I am a piecer and not a very good quilter. Tone on tone is good for me, but some of the quilting done on solids by others is absolutely amazing.

I do't use many solids -- I prefer tone on tone.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Check the book "City Quilts" by Cherry House. She uses all solids with a modern look and her quilts are fabulous. Also books by a woman named Weeks and her husband Bill (I can't remember last names or the book title, but it is something modern). It gives you a new appreciation for solids.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast