Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you figure out which way to press seams? >

How do you figure out which way to press seams?

How do you figure out which way to press seams?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 AM

Usually to the dark side..otherwise, open for a flatter look.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

so glad you asked this question because no matter how hard I try sometimes they just don't cooperate. Good answers ans ideas, Thank You.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Haha! You know how people are always saying they have a UFO and it shows how far they're come? Ok, I'm a member of the club now, too. The back of Name That Block is a mess of seam allowances going every which way. So here's the question: is there an easy way to figure out which way to press the seams? Or do I have to plan it step by step like the d-day invasion? I'm an overthinker, so I'm hoping someone will save me from myself. I'm starting to see why everyone likes patterns so much, lol.
It sounds like you're talking about the back of a quilt top that is already put together? If you pressed as you went along, the direction of the seam allowances should already be determined, shouldn't it (sorry if I've misunderstood what you were asking).
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 AM

I press most of my seams open but it is certainly OK to twist a seam in the middle for the next intersection. You are simply wanting to make your intersections as flat as possible, but there is no need to get yourself in a "twist" about it!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Haha! You know how people are always saying they have a UFO and it shows how far they're come? Ok, I'm a member of the club now, too. The back of Name That Block is a mess of seam allowances going every which way. So here's the question: is there an easy way to figure out which way to press the seams? Or do I have to plan it step by step like the d-day invasion? I'm an overthinker, so I'm hoping someone will save me from myself. I'm starting to see why everyone likes patterns so much, lol.
ROFL you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I'm devoting this year to digging out and finishing all my UFO's. Working on #4 now and I'm wondering what I was doing when I made it. This one has all the seams pressed open, but I have a hexagon quilt that will be an absolute nightmare when it sees daylight again. On a positive note...If we see the mistakes and can fix them, then we've learned well.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:49 AM

If possible, I try to press so the next block or row will nest onto it. Otherwise I press to get the flattest feel possible. I try to be mindful of the pressing directions as I go along, but it only seems to work out for me about half the time.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 AM

Ok good, I'm not alone, lol.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
That's one reason why I generally press my seams open. Far easier to deal with for me; flatter block; easier for me to match up seams/points.
My sentiments exactly! I just shorten the stitch length a bit and press the seams open.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 AM

I think it is important to press the seams as you make the blocks in the direction that results in the flattest seam allowance. This may mean pressing open. The problem when you sew the blocks together the seam allowances have a tendency to twist the other way on you. My solutions.....Sew each section with the most seam allowances on top so that you can hold them in place as you cross over them using a stylus. Secondly, those that cannot be on top can be held with a good stylus as well just as it is going under the pressure foot. Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 AM

Yes, using a stiletto to hold down the seam as you approach the needle is the best way to keep seams in the direction you want them to be sewn in...up on top, down on back.....a good nestle!
I love making that teeny block where 4 seams intersect (Eleanor burns trick)