Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you figure out which way to press seams? >

How do you figure out which way to press seams?

How do you figure out which way to press seams?

Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 AM

I usually press to the dark side but I also take into consideration if there are lots of seams and then I take a look at which piece has the most seams in it already and then press the other way. Sometimes is is a free for all and the seams whisper to me they want to go left or right. I let them go the way they want. The leader of my quilt has been converted to open seams and it works most of the time....for her. Do what seems to be best for that quilt!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:21 AM

To the dark side generally and when assembling rows, I try to press opposite directions so they nest. If there is a lot going on in a block, I sometimes will “spin” a seam or press open...it all depends on the pattern.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 AM

I usually press toward the dark if possible. I do my own quilting on my domestic machine and since starting the FMQing I'm very conscious of avoiding built up lumps for the quilter to maneuver over or around.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM

I didn't read all the responses before starting my "say". THIS is/has been one of the most difficult things for me in learning to quilt. I am very obsessive . . . try to do things "just right" and was told early on about the pressing of seams. I've handpieced several quilt tops as well as sewn a few and work very hard to get the seams "just right". I know about "nesting" etc. But speaking for myself . . . with the very BEST I can do, I come to places where it just doesn't work. It is QUITE frustrating, and I must admit that sometimes I felt like just quitting. I finally just "pinned down" some excellent quilters that said "it doesn't always work out and sometimes you just have to repress a seam differently or work on it to get it to lay as flat and nicely as possible". This did not free me to start being haphazard at all, but I am more accepting of the places I sometimes come to that "just don't work out"! When I have time I am going back and reading every word you fine ladies contributed here. I felt pretty certain it will make me feel even more comfortable.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:50 PM

I plan my seams and when that doesn't work out, I will twist a seam to make them nest. I do my own quilting and you can not tell where the twisted seams are when the quilting is done. I do use light quilting on my quilts. They get too heavy if I do dense quilting, so I prefer an open pantograph.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
That's one reason why I generally press my seams open. Far easier to deal with for me; flatter block; easier for me to match up seams/points.
I agree with this completely!
Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have always pressed to the dark, and still manage to get some that go north on one end and south on the other. Someone once told me not to stress over it, because once the whole thing is quilted, it will not show.
I'm right there with you Boston1954 - I also press to the dark, but sometimes things go a little differently. So true, once the whole thing is quilted, it will not show. I think as along as it looks flat and neat, you're all right. Pressing to the dark is usually desirable.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 AM

Also have had to press seams open and that works well too.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

i hate twisted seams. if push comes to absolute shove, i will clip the seam allowances - in different spots on each side of the seam ( i have that illustrated in the tutorial section)- so that the seam will lie flat.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM

the idea of 'press to the dark' usually works because there is less chance of seeing the seam thru the front. And, it is usually a good rule to follow (consistency is good). But, there are always exceptions. There are times when you will do 2 sections opposite so the seams will nest nicely. If I have one long 'clean' piece and the attaching piece already has seams, I will usually press to the flat open piece (less bulk). One thing I always do with a new block is to make ONE BLOCK. This way I can figure out what works best for the whole construction. It may feel like it takes a bit more time, but in the long run, it saves a lot of time! I rarely, rarely, rarely ever press open because I think it allows for more chance for batting to show and stitch in the ditch has nothing to grab onto.