Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you get blood out of fabric? >

How do you get blood out of fabric?

How do you get blood out of fabric?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:36 PM

I also use the saliva method but I think that you would have to do it immediately to stop the stain from setting.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 PM

I've never heard of using your own saliva to get blood out. I'll have to try it the next time I bleed on something. Have always used the cold water method. Great to know this...thanks!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 PM

I use a product called Zout to get blood out of my clothes. I have been using it for years. It will get old baby formula stains out of baby clothes bought at yard sales and the clothes look like new. I buy it from Amazon.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is a small spot of my blood, I chew a little wad of white thread and use the thread wad to dab the spot. The enzymes in your own saliva will dissolve your own blood spot. Sounds gross but it works.
This really does work I have just used this technique on a quilt I am basting.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is a small spot of my blood, I chew a little wad of white thread and use the thread wad to dab the spot. The enzymes in your own saliva will dissolve your own blood spot. Sounds gross but it works.
Yes that does sound gross, but it REALLY works ! Works better than water or anything else I've found, and doesn't leave any discoloring. An elderly quilting friend told me to do this at one of our quilting groups several years ago. My first thought was "yeah, I'll just bet it works," and to my surprise it actually does. I usually use a kleenex or another piece of cloth, when I get a blood spot or spots on fabrics I am working with, which of course are naturally usually white. Invariably I always seem to stick myself with pins no matter how hard I try not to.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Your saliva will remove your blood. Not sure if it will remove someone else's blood. I have heard peroxide will get it out but have not tried it.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Make up a solution of OxyClean and put iton the fabric. If the spot/s are where you can. put the fabric in the solution to soak a while. OxyClean is my go to for all organic stains and so far it has never failed me. froggyintexas
Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 AM

I use Simple Green, works like a champ. You can find it at Costco and I have even seen it in grocery stores. Just spray it on and then wash, you can work it in if the blood is heavy but don't let it sit, maybe only as long as it takes the washer to fill, also don't wet it before hand or use any other remover prior, I found Simple Green wouldn't work then. We used to own a motel and this took blood out of everything.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 PM

Old sewing teacher trick--make a wad of white cotton thread and chew it for a few minutes. Use to wipe away stain. If necessary spit on the blood stain-enzymes in saliva take out blood. My uncle at the dry cleaners used to spit n all stains just in case it was blood. any saliva works but the blood donors is best. good luck.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Fascinating thought that one's own blood can be removed by one's own saliva. However, I think licking it would be too gross for my "tastes"--I'll try Tartan's chew-a-wad technique in the event I bleed on my fabric.