Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering? >

How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Spray basting helped me a lot. It holds all the layers all over so there are few or no puckers.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM

I use a large folding table. I put the middle of the backing down first and clamp it. Then I put the batting down and clamp that and then the top. I clamp it all tight with little things from Home Depot or Lowe's. When I get that middle section of the quilt pinned or basted, I go to the right or left side. So far, this has worked for me. I can't get up and down on the floor and I found my fold up long table works great. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I heavily starch the backing before sandwiching. (Actually, I heavily starch the yardage before even creating the backing, but you can do it to the backing also.) My method is fast and easy. I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the yardage until it is saturated, toss in dryer, then iron with steam.

What this heavy starching does is stabilize the backing fabric so it doesn't stretch or distort while you are machine quilting. In my experience, it pretty much eliminates puckering. For the same reason, I starch the top before sandwiching although in that case I use layers of spray starch.

For a quilt that is already sandwiched, spray starching both top and backing several times will add some stability and often will stop puckers if you are already having that problem.

Spray basting also helps prevent puckering because it holds all surfaces together at all points. Pins, for example, hold the sandwich together only every 4 inches or so where the pin intersects the sandwich.
I'm going to get some starch the next time I'm in town. Thanks for the suggestions. :-)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud View Post
Spray basting helped me a lot. It holds all the layers all over so there are few or no puckers.
I use 505. I'm going to pick up some boards and try that method since I don't have a table large enough to lay it out.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Here is how I do my sandwiching---no matter how large the quilt is I use my table. I use binder clips, I first start with the table, and find the middle. and put a toothpick on it--I tape it down so it doesn't move. Then I fold the backing in quarters so I have the middle. I then put the center of the backing on the toothpick, I smooth it all so it is even all 4 directions. I then use my binder clips and attach it to the table---I use one of those tables with collapsible legs (like you get at office depot--but not the plastic top kind). I then do the same with the batting, smoothing it out, then moving the clips to include the batting, and backing, then repeat for the top. Then I pin it all that is on the top of the table. I then move it so I smooth it all and pin til it is all done. I have found that if I pin at least once every 4-5 inches in all directions it helps bunches. I use a domestic machine to do my quilting.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

BoyKim, I have fought with this problem too...and what I've done on the twin-size I'm quilting now, is use the spray-basting...I have sprayed in 1/3's, starting with the middle, and so far, I'm on the 2nd third, it's stayed really nice and smooth. This way I don't have to wrestle the whole thing on the floor. I can use the counter for each section. don't know about doing something really big tho. But so far this is working for me. Good Luck! ~deb~
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

If you have a porch, carport or driveway-if weather is good- tape down a clean sheet then tape down your backing. Layer batting and top-I spray baste, then add strategic, large safety pins. I do some straight anchor quilting or SITD then free motion quilting. I have a decent sized design wall, but I manage larger pieces better on the floor.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 AM

I do the same except I don't remove the painters tape until I have finished all the pinning. It helps to keep the back taut and no puckers in it.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:13 AM

I've heard a lot of quilters use a walking foot, once they've used that they never have trouble again, they even use it for regular stitching. I have two of them and haven't used them yet, but I'm not ready to layer anything either. I hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:43 AM

OK, am lucky enough to have a wall but do think 505 spray basting
keeps everything under control. Also using a walking foot is huge.