Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering? >

How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM

I tape the backing down very well. Ie start in the opposite middles and pull taut but not tight to stretch fabric. \\\\\\\\I usually end up with a good tape to stop paint going on walls(forgot name) every 6inches. opposite middles the corners square up and can take out creases as going(hope it is ironed) batting on tease into place with finger tips only no pulling as it will stretch. Now carfully with help if possible place top on. Again smooth out with finger tips no pressure. Pin using safety pins as close as possible with as much material in as you can. More pins stabler the top .
PS keep watching tape has not come undone. polished surfaces not ideal.

Best of lick following my ramble.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Google Sharon Schamber's tutorial on basting a quilt. All you need is 2 boards and you can sit down to baste. It's the greatest technique and the only one I use to baste. (I do pin baste instead of thread basting).
I just watched both these videos and this process looks some great! I am trying this with my next quilt.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 AM

Sharon Schamber rocks!

Hugs
Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 AM

Just ran across this video the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cfZ...eature=related

We have the space in the basement and I have several sheets of plywood that I can place on my work bench.

Looks like a great way to baste and you can stand up or sit down when you are basting.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 AM

I have some suggestions (from my own evolution on quilting). #1 We had a good quality 4x8 ply (with 4" cuts on the corners) that dh would help me put on the dinning room table when the family came for Christmas, etc. We pulled apart table but, using blocks and screws put the ply on top and had a table big enough. I used this for quilting for years.

#2 Then I bought the white folding tables from Joann's. They take up very little room to store and fold out to about 3x5'. There were some complaints about the fact that the fold out legs would move, but I put on little squares of industrial velcro and that took care of that. I love those babies so much dh got me 4 of them before I yelled STOP. But now I have a space 10x6' to work on when laying out a quilt sandwich. Makes me feel like a queen! And they store in a space about 4x3'.

#3 You could also use one sided fusible fleece and lay your back on that, smooth carefully and iron lightly until you also have the top on. If you still find a wrinkle you can reheat, remove and replace. It is an easy answer. Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Okay, this is what I do. First I starch and iron the backing, that will keep it flat and no wrinkles. Second, I use
the T-pins to pin it to the carpet on the floor then I spray bast it. Third, I lay the batting down carefully on top
of the backing and smooth that out and then spray bast the batting. Fourth, I then lay the starch and ironed
top onto the batting carefully and smooth it out. Done!!! Take the T-pins out of the carpet and backing and you
are ready to quilt!!! Tape won't stick good enough on carpet but if you have hardwood floors, tape will work.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 AM

I lay an old sheet out on my carpet, then put the back down, good side facing down...spread out all wrinkles...then the batting....then the top (good side facing you) then I use my new best friend (basting spray), I fold over the first layer half way then spray the batting and smooth it out...fold over the rest of it, spray batting and smooth it out....then I take the batting and first layer fold THAT down half way spray batting and smooth it out then do the other half the same way....all layers are now glued together...you can flip the entire quilt over to make sure it's smooth, roll it up or fold it up whichever way you perfer and machine quilt it. It stays together and does a wonderful job. I've been pinning the binding only but I keep getting stuck by the pins so this next quilt I'm making I think I'll leave the edges open and pin after I machine quilt. Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Google Sharon Schamber's tutorial on basting a quilt. All you need is 2 boards and you can sit down to baste. It's the greatest technique and the only one I use to baste. (I do pin baste instead of thread basting).
How long are the boards? You use this method with full sized quilts?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 AM

Kim, lay the back on floor and use painters tape to hold tight, then batting and top. Do you pin? I did not have luck with pinning but would use white thread and very large basing stitch to sew together. Or take my back out side and spray with basting spray (very lightly) and then lay on floor. Then repeat with the batting(lightly spray top) and repeat with top. There seemed to be a lot of back and forth with the spray and outside, but it worked and no sticky in the house. Some battings help to hold the back flat better than others exp. 80/20 & W&N. Poly is harder to work with except on the smaller quilts.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Did you try to use spray I find it it works great I use it on all my quilts you can turn it over & see if there are any puckers & if so you can fix it before you sew.shrabar