Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you keep strip quit piecing straight - suggestions? >

How do you keep strip quit piecing straight - suggestions?

How do you keep strip quit piecing straight - suggestions?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
found that when I am prepressing fabric before cutting , make sure the selvage edges are kept straight and together. this solved my dog leg shaped strips. good luck
Don't mean to sound dumb, but doesn't almost everyone prepress (not iron) and starch their fabric before cutting? And make sure it's on the correct grain of the fabric? I cut almost all my strips on the lengthwise grain, after pressing and starching. (so obviously that means I prewash.)

Wow! What an education this forum is, not just for strip piecing, but for good quilting in general! It's added a whole lot of "I'm going to try this out!" to my quilting plans!

I also read somewhere, and I'll swear it was on this Quilting Board, that someone solved their problem of wonky strip piecing by foundation piecing the strips. Sounds like it could be worth trying!

Cheers!

Last edited by MacThayer; 07-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 PM

To keep my seams straight when strip piecing I alternate stitching directions when adding a new strip. Also use a piece of molefoam taped to the bed of my machine, to keep the seam allowance accurate.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM

I was told to reverse sewing each strip - start one strip from bottom, next strip from the top. This means start sewing your next strip at the same end where you finished the previous strip.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Also cut your strip not on the bias, cut them lengthwise and you have a more stable strip...but no give either.

Maxine
Bakersfield, Ca
Old 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Was this before or after the top was quilted? If it's after quilting, it is not at all unusual for the quilting to draw in or shrink the quilt a bit. This is why a lot of quilters will square their quilt after it's been quilted, before putting on binding. If you have a lot of dense quilting in a medallion or applique center, that could cause an hourglass shape.