Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you like Your Gammill?

Blog Entries

How do you like Your Gammill?

I am ready to purchase my longarm machine. I'm going to look at a Gammill Monday if nothing happens. I'd like to hear from other board members who have Gammill machines and how they like or dislike them. Thanks
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! It is stitch regulated (which is a great feature!). I also use the vertical and horizontal channel locks alot--great for loading a quilt and backing and keeping everything square all through the quilting process. I bought mine used (all I could afford), and have never regretted it one minute. Good luck with whatever new longarm you get! Let us know how things go...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! It is stitch regulated (which is a great feature!). I also use the vertical and horizontal channel locks alot--great for loading a quilt and backing and keeping everything square all through the quilting process. I bought mine used (all I could afford), and have never regretted it one minute. Good luck with whatever new longarm you get! Let us know how things go...
    What size do you have?

I have two Gammills and wouldn't have any other brand! Love both the girls!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

I bought mine new and I love it. My stitch regulater just went out on it 3 weeks ago, waiting for it to be replaced.
    I had just about finished a quilt and was ready to put in my quilt for quilters project when it went out. Pour carrot has to wait untill they get it fixed. So I can quilt here quilt.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    gammils are the Rolls Royces of quilting machines---
    they seem to set the bar for all other's to strive to achieve.
    I've been lucky enough to get to use one a few times but my machine is not one- it is one of those that some day i will be able to afford to (afford) to upgrade to that point- in the mean time i will keep using (and loving) my Ford
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
    I have two Gammills and wouldn't have any other brand! Love both the girls!
    You have two of them??? Oh, my!!! Dare I dream?

I think that Gammill used to be the standard, but no more. Now the competition is fierce, and many have features that Gammill does not have. I considered Gammill when I purchased, but found that an Innova was better for me. Look around and compare, and find the one that is right to you.

I have a 1600p on a gracie frame and it works very good. but i still dream
    of a gammill but probably will never own one. but they say if you
    dream , dream big. lol

I love my Gammill. I have an 18/8 Vision on a 10' frame. I've had it a year now and really love it. I took a 2 day class which came with the machine and I would recommend this to anyone buying a longarm. It took the fear out of it and I learned most of the basics. I still refer to my manual on occasion. I have quilted about 30 quilts in the last year so I've stayed busy with it. Her name is Gabby.

I agree with Dunster, I do not feel Gammel can be considered the rolls royce of longarms any more. Many, many award winning phenominal pros use other brands. Karen McTavish uses an APQS, Our own Green Fairy uses an A1, Renae Haddadin, our own Charisma, Dunster, and myself, we all have Innovas. There are many options out there and Gammell isn't necessarily the only option out there. When trying them out at shows, I found the Gammels rather heavy and more like a truck, especially after getting used to my Innova which seems to maneuver like a sports car in comparison. But the biggest thing I hated was having to adjust the take up roller bar as the quilt progressed and worrying that a single seam running lengthwise down the backing could cause a problem. My rack is a 4 rail system and I never have to adjust any of the rollers. JMHO.

I have a Gammill...bought it new two years ago and have quilted about 200 or so quilts with her. She is a Premier Plus and right now she is in overtime mode. She may not be a Rolls-Royce to others but she is to me...when I bought her she was the best I could find on the market at that time. And I have never had to adjust the takeup bar as I quilted...guess mine's just the perfect lady for me. It's true (I guess) that other ones will do more, but I'm happy with what I've got and wouldn't trade it. The dealer service has been wonderful as well...I'm glad they finally started making others like the Inova, the ADQS and the others so everyone can have a choice. That's what's it's all about...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of your input! I will be test driving next week. I've been trying to get all the info I can get before hand. I am so afraid that I might make a wrong decision. Guess that is the butterflies in my tummy. heheeh!

Blog Entries
    I really do agree with you. I almost bought a Gammill but have decided to investigate some of the others before I take the big step.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I think that Gammill used to be the standard, but no more. Now the competition is fierce, and many have features that Gammill does not have. I considered Gammill when I purchased, but found that an Innova was better for me. Look around and compare, and find the one that is right to you.

I love your car references! It made me laugh.

I just purchased a Gammill in March. Love it although I still need practice with it. My husband looked at many machines with me and finally liked this one for quality and less "play" in the movement. Love the stitch regulator and other features. Turned me into a quilter rather than a topper. Copper

I would advise you to compare all the models (a quilt show is a great place to do that). It had been several years since I had tried the various ones and I was amazed at what all they have now and the great stitches. You need to see which one has the features and feels best to YOU!!! I purchased the Innova and am VERY pleased with it.

I agree with Dunster. I have a Gammill Classic Plus (the plus being the stitch regulator). I LOVE Lucy (her name..comes from 'righty tighty, lefty LOOSEY' :::grin:: But the lady I purchased her from was more petite than I. Lucy was just a BEAST for her. Try them all out. Find one that calls your name and fits your budget. If you dont' find one, keep your eye out for a used one. I found Lucy local to me. Happy Hunting!