Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make a reversible/two sided quilt? >

How do you make a reversible/two sided quilt?

How do you make a reversible/two sided quilt?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I don't make any, just put some blocks on the back. It is not easy trying to line both sides up.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Backing Up Your Quilt

Every quilt I make is reversible. I make sure that the backing on each quilt that I create is pretty enough to flip that over. Some of them are hand quilted, some are machine quilted, some are sent out to the long arm quilter. I use fabrics that compliment the front. Here are just a few, quilted differently. I have been quilting since January 01, 2011 when I retired.
Attached Thumbnails applequilt.jpg   fallquilt.jpg   flannelquilt.jpg   quiltasyougo_1930s.jpg   summeinpark.jpg  

Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Many thanks to everyone for your replies. LOVE the quilting pics posted too!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM

I consider all my quilts to be reversible. I take as much care choosing the backing fabric as I do the front, and make sure the binding will work with the backing as well as the front. To me this allows for a multicolor pieced front, and a single color/pattern for back. I like that one is more busy, and the other more calm.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by JaneAustenFan View Post
Thanks lots2do. I've just looked on Amazon and found a copy. x
This is really a good book to use in my opinion. I have made a few using her method. You might look at my quilts I made using her book. "Buffalo Quilt", "Twin Solitudes" and "Hope's Rose Garden"they are on the board under quilts. The last one I made was "Hope's Rose Garden". The Buffalo quilt and Hope's Rose Garden wer both king size and Twin Solitudes was a queen. I would recommend her book. They are not hard at all. If you purchase the book and have any questions p.m. me and I will help all I can. The joining strips or sashing whatever you want to call them, are not at all hard and you are just butting the two blocks together when you do these strips, and folding the top strip over to sew it down. The bottom strip connects the two blocks. When you are finished with each block the quilting is done. You can do this with strips on each side making a scrappy quilt or use solid blocks like I did.

Last edited by Gerbie; 06-11-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 AM

I am in the process of making a queen sized, 2 sided quilt. One side has pieced round, log cabins (can't describe them any other way), and the other side is 6" blocks. I have found that because of all the seams on both front and back, it is VERY heavy! Not sure how I am going to quilt it yet. I made the quilt 2 sided in order to use up some more of my fabrics.

Anita
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I made a table runner. I did a bargello design with Xmas fabric on the front and then the backing was a DP9 patch. You have to make your backing quilt a little bit bigger. The quilt also may be is a bit more bulky because you are going thru twice the number of seams than normal. Make sure you have a very sharp new needle when you start quilting. Good Luck !!!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

I made one with a quilt as you go sort of technique. On side one, I made a bright block with a white BG. For the opposite side I made the nearly identical block with a black background.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418500[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2156.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Quilts

Thank you to everyone for your ideas, quilts, advice and experience. Love the pictures!! Many thanks.

QuiltingHaven & sew_Tracy - I love your quilt ideas for the back and front.

Last edited by JaneAustenFan; 06-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.