Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it? >

How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it?

How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM

I found the solution to the storage issue by having all my children leave home and sending the accumulated goodies to his/her house so he/she can throw away whatever isn't important. I took over one bedroom and gradually have taken over the guest room also. I hope plastic is ok for fabric storage because I have several of the storage cupboards.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 PM

holy carp, more places to hide, er store, material! Besides a few dust bunnies (I raise 'em :thumbup: ) and maybe a dog bone, there isn't a thing under any of my beds! My DH lets me buy all the fabric I can hide
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 PM

PineyRiver, I love the look of your bookcase.

I got hubby to add additional shelves between the existing shelves in the wardrobe. The pile is still just as high but being split in half makes it less heavy and easier to get to whatever you need.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 AM

I hear you. I have the same issues. I envy all those with space to spread out what I have and enjoy it.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by no co quilter
I tried the "shoe under" for shoes -- they are floppy -not what I thought it would be. I was told you shouldn't store fabric in plastic?? is this true?
The only problem I've had with storing fabric in plastic tubs is when the tubs are clear -- the sun will fade the fabrics right through the tub. But otherwise, clear plastic tubs are ideal -- you can pretty much see what's in there and they keep out the dust, dirt, insects, and kitties.... :D
Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Banned

lol gosh i don't know. i don't have that problem. :?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 AM

PineyRiverQuilter - The best thing I've ever done is fold my fabrics on sheets of plastic canvas and put them on shelves like little books.

Piney, what do you mean by plastic canvas sheets? Are these available at Joann's?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM

I just finished reorganizing my stash and quilting room after I had to completely empty the room to replace the carpet. What a mess but I now have a really really organized room. I have a smallish dresser that I use as a cutting table and for storage. I also use yaffa blocks and the wire snap together blocks leftover from my college days they are great. I also use lots of plastic bins and try to keep everything labeled. I have seasonal fabric and Christmas/Winter fabric in plastic boxes. I also keep my fats in the smaller plastic shoe boxes by color.

I have a set of wooden shelves that hold plastic containers and my books/magazines. Optimize your vertical space think fabric from floor to ceiling :) A shelf above your sewing table made with L brackets and a piece of wood will hold a lot.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 AM

I just saw these bed risers at Walmart on the same aisle as the ironing boards. I use them under my old low couch and chairs b/c my knees are bad. I you are in the market for a new bed you can buy a raised platform bed with lots of drawers for storage. I know the a CD tower will hold fat quaters. good luck maybe I'll do this after Christmas. :-D
Old 12-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't - manage it - I need to excavate and/or move a lot of things when I'm looking for something.

But this is about 20 years accumulation, too.

I do usually know where to START looking, though.

Don't know what I'll do when I'm unable to move the plastic (58 qt) totes.