Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it? >

How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it?

How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

It is important to see your stash; otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.
Why don't you get a bookcase and store them in the bookcase-you'd be surprised at how much you can store in a bookcase! I bought those thin plastic 'mini bolts' - they'll hold a fatquarter or several grouped together on 1 mini bolt. You get a clear view of all of your fabric and it looks neat and decorative on a bookcase.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM

I cut off a small corner of each piece and staple it to an index card. On the card I list the length of material, cost, date purchased and where purchased. This way I can use the swatches to match up with and know if I have enough material for my project. Then I go digging in the closet where the material is stacked on open front shelves. This works pretty well most of the time......until I get behind on my cateloging.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Out of site is out of mind to me so I like to see it and I have it sorted by color on book shelves. some in plastic bins that I have used before and know what is there.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM

You can send your stash to me and I'll manage it for you! :) lol
Old 12-01-2009, 05:33 PM

I have most of my stash in plastic bins in my garage on shelves like they use in restaurants. Each shelf holds two bins and I sort my fabric by type and colors. I also have a three drawer plastic storage I got at Walmart and a number of cloth bags (ones from Joann's) plus a couple of chest of drawers that hold extra stuff. In my sewing room I have those multi-drawer stackers that tuck neatly under my sewing table for scraps, threads, and other sewing stuff. I also have some of my bigger yardage hanging in the closet and a few pieces in wicker baskets. All my patterns are in an old five drawer file cabinet in the garage organized by manufacturer and pattern number - some day I'll get them all scanned so I can ebay or etsy them.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM

I too use most of the ideas already submitted: clear boxes, drawer units, baskets, underbed storage (mostly for other things). The best thing I've ever done is fold my fabrics on sheets of plastic canvas and put them on shelves like little books. It's like I have my own quilt store in my room. Very impressive to all who've seen it. If I could figure out how to send a picture on this new forum system, I would show you.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 PM

I would love to see it
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

I retired from a grocery store and during my employment (37 yrs) I hauled home shelf unit after shelf unit that was just going to go in the dumpster. You might check with different retail stores and see what they do with what they no longer want. I do live alone in a big farmhouse so have a bit more leeway on what and where I have storage. I do have a lot of junk that could leave and give me more room for fabric.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Here's a pic of my bookcase of fabric.

Originally Posted by Jeannie
I would love to see it
Fabrics of at least 1 yd on plastic canvas sheets, tidy as little soldiers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58428[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58428.jpe  
Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM

I tried the "shoe under" for shoes -- they are floppy -not what I thought it would be. I was told you shouldn't store fabric in plastic?? is this true?