Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you pick colors for a quilt? >

How do you pick colors for a quilt?

How do you pick colors for a quilt?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Decided to just play a little with the DNP after seeing the post about making a triangle square with it. It is mushrooming, becomming a couch throw and I don't want to stop. It is addictive.....
Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by koipuddle
I was wondering, how does everyone come up with such complimentary colors in your quilts? I like earth tones, so everything I pick are kinda dark. My wife says I can't match colors :? The material I've found has hues of brown/tan, some yellows, some lite blues in sky. I look at some of the wonderful quilts you all have made and posted pics of on here and wonder how you know what colors go good together.
Oh, another question please. How many yards of material does it take to make a queen size quilt?
Thank you,
Jack
Queen size is 84x92and takes 7 and 1/2 yards
Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM

A little trick I learned from a Jinny Beyer seminar. Take the fabric you really like, scan it, then enlarge it way up until you can't tell what it is and you will start seeing squares of colors, these will be the the colors you need to add to your quilt to make it come alive. It really works. I just hope I explained it correctly, I do it but explaining it is different.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Nice to see someone else has an old treadle mashine. What kind is it ? I have an old singer, about 104 years old,
[email protected]
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM

It too is a singer. Not sure how old it is, but it's up there in years. Thanks for the info, I bought enough material then for the quilt.
Hobo, that's a pretty good way to do it. Am quite computer literate, so scanning and enlarging won't be difficult. Thank you for the tip.
j
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Here is the material I bought online. Got it all cut into squares today. Not sure the one with butterflies fits, and not fond of the dark green one with apples. Going to Wally World tomorrow, going to get dark green for sashing and may look to see if they have any other that matches better.
jack
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90030.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 AM

Guess it depends if you want mostly darker color, but I like the butterfly, to me it picks up the blue and gold/tan nicely. I do think I would actually put two of the butterfly and only one of the green/apple print. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder/quilter.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
A little trick I learned from a Jinny Beyer seminar. Take the fabric you really like, scan it, then enlarge it way up until you can't tell what it is and you will start seeing squares of colors, these will be the the colors you need to add to your quilt to make it come alive. It really works. I just hope I explained it correctly, I do it but explaining it is different.
Very clever!!! Never heard of this, but it totally makes sense! Finally, a good use for the pixels! Thank you :-D
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Go to http://wwwsewalot.com/queen%20queenvictoria.htp
they can tell you how old your mashine is
Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
Guess it depends if you want mostly darker color, but I like the butterfly, to me it picks up the blue and gold/tan nicely. I do think I would actually put two of the butterfly and only one of the green/apple print. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder/quilter.
I keep looking at this and love the colors, but the more I look, I think maybe it looks like the green and blue are competing for center stage with two greens in it. Maybe that's why I thought of taking one green out, my eye must have gone to the blue, even though there is certainly green in the jar fabric too. Hope you let us see what the final verdict is.