Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you pick your material for a project????

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    All the tips that have been given are excellent! Also look at the little color bubbles along the selvage of the fabric and it will show you the colors that would look really good.

Gosh, I never knew that! I thought it was just a manufacturer symbol!!

Thanks NJ Quilter. Great advice. I do enjoy putting the pieces together and watching it develop into a great design. It's like a puzzle to me and I love putting puzzles together. Just watching the pieces form a picture is really neat. I'm glad to see that others have to take time to decide on colors too. That makes me feel a little better. I really enjoy this forum and all the very talented people on here. Thanks for all the help.

EllieGirl, me too

Because sometime finding the colors means I have more than one quilt going at a time. One I have figured and some in the process so I can wash, starch, press, cut and sew in stages.

Blog Entries
    I start with the main fabric which will direct the colors. Then I pull fabrics to go with it trying to mix and match scale and value. A lot depends on the pattern I plan to make. I often fold the fabric so it will be close to the size of the actual piece just to see if the fabric comes through OK. When all the fabrics are selected, I lay them out on top of each other and step back. Often, I rearrange the order to get a better feel for the match. Or I squint to see if anything jumps out at me.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Very good question. I struggle with this too. Athough I have not much clue what does go, I know pretty quickly when I look at something that doesn't. I do tend to pick all the same value colours though- looks nice close up but from far away the pattern is lost. Have to be brave and buy more dark fabric- I'm always afraid it will dominate too much.
    Last edited by noveltyjunkie; 01-16-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Go to a hardward store and get some of those paint strips. The kind with different shades of the same color. Pick several of your favorite colors and several of your least favorite. Then get cream, brown, gray and black. Take them home and play with them. Each time you're in the store get a few more. Keep color combinations you like together and take them to the fabric store. You'll be teaching yourself how to look at color with out having to buy expensive fabric.

If you check online at fat quarter bundles..the fabrics usually coordinate nicely. Even check out www.connectingthreads.com

If you look at their fabrics they have them all displayed in style "groups or themes" together and you can mix and match and choose that way. You will learn more by experience. There are quilt books for beginners too that would be a nice help for you too.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

On line go to designseeds.com for helpful color matches.

When I first started quilting I found that fabrics that looked good together didn't when I got them home. I think the lighting in the stores distorted the colors. Also, I found that I tended to pick all medium fabrics rather than lights and darks mixed in. If you use your printer and the black and white setting you will be able to tell the lights, darks, and mediums apart. Just remember, practice makes perfect.
    Sue

I have 4 "Take 5" quilts to make....

Here is my color schemes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Okay, honestly, I wait for someone on the quilt board to have a fabric sale, find what I love, or in the case of my scrappy Irish chain, what they sent. If I go to Joann's, I am like a 10 year old with ADD. Too much choice for me.

Blog Entries
    Another great idea is to go to store that sells paint. Pick up some of the paint chips that show you how to combine paint colors in a pleasing pallette...then head over to the fabric store and start shopping. Be careful not to get caught up in matching fabric to paint chips- remember they are just a guide!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    Go to a hardward store and get some of those paint strips. The kind with different shades of the same color. Pick several of your favorite colors and several of your least favorite. Then get cream, brown, gray and black. Take them home and play with them. Each time you're in the store get a few more. Keep color combinations you like together and take them to the fabric store. You'll be teaching yourself how to look at color with out having to buy expensive fabric.
    Sorry tessbug...missed your reply! Great minds think alike!!!!

I figure if I like it, it goes together! I usually pick out a focus fabric, then choose colors from that to put with it. Sometime I go a couple of shades lighter or darker for the contrast, depending on the pattern. If it's a fabric I spot that just says, "take me home", I buy 3 or 5 yards. That way I have enough for whatever I need it for, plus some to go in the stash for the next project. I've always heard that if your fabric is still ugly, the pieces just aren't small enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DeborahH View Post
    Hi Dolphyngyrl, thanks for letting me know that. Now I don't feel like it's just me that takes so long to figure out what fabrics go together. I spent an entire afternoon once trying to match fabrics for one of my table runners. I thought, it has to be easier than this. Then I see all the beautiful quilts on here and think 'how did they pick all that out'? It's amazing to me to see some really beautiful quilts on here. Some of the fabrics I would have never thought to put together but they look great

Focus fabrics seem to jump out of the shelves yelling my name. Finding what goes well with them gets to be a task somedays.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
    When I first started quilting I found that fabrics that looked good together didn't when I got them home. I think the lighting in the stores distorted the colors. Also, I found that I tended to pick all medium fabrics rather than lights and darks mixed in. If you use your printer and the black and white setting you will be able to tell the lights, darks, and mediums apart. Just remember, practice makes perfect.
    Sue

Years ago, I made a plaid skirt for my niece. Then I was going to knit a sweater to match. Believe it or not, the yarn I picked was peach and it matched the PINK PLAID prefectly, because the other colors in the plaid changed the appearance of the pink. So, since then, I don't get too hung up on "color" matches as much as how does it look when you back up 10 feet.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    If you check online at fat quarter bundles..the fabrics usually coordinate nicely. Even check out www.connectingthreads.com

If you look at their fabrics they have them all displayed in style "groups or themes" together and you can mix and match and choose that way. You will learn more by experience. There are quilt books for beginners too that would be a nice help for you too.
    I just got connecting threads catalog the other day. I really enjoyed looking through it. Can you give me some titles of books that I can look for that would be helpful? I never know which books or magazines are good or not. Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice. I never thought to use the paint strips. Great idea. I will have to go get some and play with them. Ya'll are terrific. Love, love this site.

Blog Entries
    If you have a friend that's really great at decorating her home or if she's really good at putting a wardrobe together ask her for opinions about fabrics and color choices.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Color is most important to me - depends on pattern and what person wants if it's not for me. Just lay out some bolts of fabric and some fat quarters and you'll find what you're looking for. Then take it all by the window and look at it in day light. Believe me, it will save you from getting colors that don't look good together.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Quilter1943 that is how I picked out my fabrics for my table runners. I guess it all works the same regardless of what you are making. Thanks.

If it's for someone in particular, I go with their likes or colors they're using in whatever room the item is for. I recently finished a poppy lap quilt for my mom and the red matches her couch exactly! I was so tickled to see that. Right now I'm working on a comfort quilt for my niece, she likes frogs and bright pinks. I found a cute frog fabric at Joann's so that's my focus fabric and am using several other colors as well as a bright pink.

If I'm doing something "just because", I usually try to find one fabric (in my stash or at the store) that I really like and that's my starting point. Sometimes - unfortunately for my budget - I find a fabric I fall in love with, buy some yardage and then find I have very little that goes with it in my stash...so it's back to the store for me! LOL
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Hi AnnT, thanks for the advice. I'm in Mount Juliet. I work with a girl from Maryville. Small world.

I agree with Adamae. Designseeds.com is an excellent resource for color matching.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast