Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to do you REDUCE STASH >

How to do you REDUCE STASH

How to do you REDUCE STASH

Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

There are "for sale" groups on Facebook where you can post and sell your unwanted yardage. Current fabric goes best at about $7-8 a yard, and older stuff will fly away at $3-4 a yard. I have a sale there every so often, when I'm feeling too guilty about all the fabric I have and will never get to.

You need a Paypal account (or the equivalent), and some flat rate envelopes and boxes to ship in. You can print shipping online from the USPS website, or use PirateShip.com.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:40 AM

The Guild I belong to has a garage sale once a year. Everyone gets a table to put all their items on to sell. Usually there is a lot of free stuff and fabric sells for $2. and up per yard.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
The Guild I belong to has a garage sale once a year. Everyone gets a table to put all their items on to sell. Usually there is a lot of free stuff and fabric sells for $2. and up per yard.
What a cool idea!
Old 08-17-2022, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

I took another back - car seat full to the second- hand store today. Sadly, I brought home some fabric goodies for the sewing room. Oh well, maybe someday. At least they are blenders.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:02 AM

What a timely thread! I'm in the process of decluttering my entire house. I'm doing well but my major obstacle is the sewing room and my books. I don't buy much and I make charity quilts but that just doesnt seem to make a dent. It seems like I'm following the best ideas here, UFO's use lots of fabric for backs, shop your stash,etc.
But I'm really reluctent to give away fabric. I do have a small box for the free table at my guild, hopefully I will give away more than I bring home! That is really my downfall, all the free fabric I have been getting lately and the fact that I make too many quilts with tiny pieces.
So new plan:
Make a bunch of simple quilts
Piece some backings
STOP taking stuff from the free table
Be real and get rid of that ugly stuff
Sort scraps and purge
Watch KonMarie
I guess I will have to accept that it's going to take awhile.
Any ideas for easy fast quilt patterns for donation quilts?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2022, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
If your stash is a burden, then it is not a benefit to you,. Reduce it. I am also to the point that mortality is a reality. I would like to NOT leave piles of unused fabric for others to have to care for after my quilting days are over. I would rather leave quilts.
Well said! I put fabrics I know I won't use on the "free" table at guild meetings. I have also thrown some cotton/poly fabric that snuck into my stash. I make re-useable gift bags with some fabrics, and piece backings as well.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:11 AM

My family and relatives have had the tradition of when something is mailed, to use our unwanted material as packing. If I receive a pkg, and I don't want the enclosed material, I pin a note to the material as to who I received it from and make sure I send it to someone else when the next box needs to be sent off. That way I don't accidently send it back to the person who didn't want it to begin with. I use material as packing even when it is being transported somewhere by car. When I receive a pkg, I'm usually more excited by what am I getting for material than what is in the parcel!!
Old 08-23-2022, 07:35 AM

What a great idea!
Old 08-23-2022, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
What a timely thread!
Any ideas for easy fast quilt patterns for donation quilts?
Thanks
Jordan fabrics has a pattern/video for using scraps cut into 2 1/2 inch strips.
I haven’t done it, but looks pretty simple and mindless.

https://jordanfabrics.com/pages/scra...s-diamond-trip
Old 08-23-2022, 02:22 PM

I've made this pattern. Used it to decrease my odd length jellies. Fun, fast, and easy.