Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to do you REDUCE STASH >

How to do you REDUCE STASH

How to do you REDUCE STASH

Old 08-23-2022, 04:35 PM

Smile

You can't! I make MANY quilts and then use the scraps for scrappy quilts, and I swear all that material propegates all night long and continuues to build up!
Old 08-23-2022, 04:58 PM

Cheryl, I agree. I spent almost 2 days sorting fab and now it looks like I have twice as much fab as I did before. If I'm having a battle with my fabric. I surrender. Fabric wins. Score: Fab 1. Quilter 0...lol
Old 08-24-2022, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl222 View Post
You can't! I make MANY quilts and then use the scraps for scrappy quilts, and I swear all that material propegates all night long and continuues to build up!
Of course your fabric propagates. Do you leave the lights on in your sewing room or just let them "party" all night?
Old 08-24-2022, 06:52 AM

Of course it's more fun to party in the dark!
Old 08-24-2022, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LI_diva View Post
Jordan fabrics has a pattern/video for using scraps cut into 2 1/2 inch strips.
I haven’t done it, but looks pretty simple and mindless.

https://jordanfabrics.com/pages/scra...s-diamond-trip
Im making this pattern now. Worked on it today. I don’t really have a stash. I do have two bins of scraps. I buy why I need for a project that isn’t scrappy. I know I am the oddball but hearing about stashes and how for some people they are a burden makes me not want one.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by LI_diva View Post
Jordan fabrics has a pattern/video for using scraps cut into 2 1/2 inch strips.
I haven’t done it, but looks pretty simple and mindless.

https://jordanfabrics.com/pages/scra...s-diamond-trip
That's really cute and would be a great scrap buster.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I would love to have an event where all the people come with a quilt pattern to make and we all bring fabric to share. Everyone can choose from the fabrics to make their quilt. I have the Accuquilt cutters to help cut shapes. I used a lot making masks but want to use up more fabric and i need help. Or just have a cutting party to make kits for people.
I love this idea, quiltingcandy! Those "parties" sound like so much fun.

Like most of the rest of you, I use excess fabric to make charity quilts and backs. There are always needs for quilts in the community. Right now, Kentucky has experienced horrendous flooding. Many people have lost all they had. Our guild is collecting quilts to take to people in Kentucky. Other than that, I make quilts for children's homes and hospitals year round, and the organ transplant unit at a hospital in nearby city. I also pass on fabrics that I've fallen out of love with, to my guild and quilting friends.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:48 PM

🤩 Wow! thank you all. I do like the idea of making pieced backs for charity quilts or bundling together for free table. I can do this. I think I need to be realistic and just have destashing as part of a scheduled process and slowly get rid of excess. I have other places to store and can take time. I do like the idea of sharing at guild free table as well. Thank you all. yes, the fabric scraps do seem to party and multiply.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:01 PM

Give it away!. To the Salvation Army Thrift Store, Goodwill, Catholic Charities or to any group that makes quilts for special purposes.Or give it to someone in your guild who may be a little short on money. See if there is a home ec teacher who has students who need fabric for a sewing project. Bless it and let it go!
Old 08-26-2022, 05:39 AM

You might want to rethink destashing after all. Apparently the cotton crop this year has been decimated (don't know if that is the right word), so there will be shortages and/or severe price increases.