Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you secure applique on a well loved quilt >

How do you secure applique on a well loved quilt

How do you secure applique on a well loved quilt

Old 05-16-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
The only applique I've done has been on a wall hanging. I'm quilting a quilt that has applique that others have done and I am not sure if they would survive many washes. They seem to be OK but I wondered if those of you who do a lot of applique if you run a stitch all the way around each piece (say 1/8") to secure it or just treat it as you would the rest of the piecing?
(It is needle turned hand applique)
When I first read this, I remembered an old trick a Georgia Quilter taught me years ago. It may not apply in this question but is a handy hint for some occasions. Often on older quilts one or two squares or part of a quilt may look more vulnerable to wear and washing. I was told buy some bridal veil or even netting and secure it over the area by whatever sewing or tacking will hold it in place. (I was repairing squares). I didn't believe it but it disappeared and was strong and held everything in. If not applicable here, keep in mind for future when you might need it. I love this board and laugh at some and admire some and love your love of animals and each other. Gabrielle
Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 AM

Your quilt reminds me of what I was told long ago. Back in the way back when, they didn't wash quilts like we do today. Line drying took a long long time which could lead to mildew. Gentle washing is best. I gave a quilt to my sister who washed it to death. She mentioned it was falling apart. Well she washed it like sheets on the bed. It couldn't hold up to the machine.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 PM

This is exactly what I gave done on those quilts that need a bit of TLC, and it helps keep the quilt pieces intact and the smaller the voile (Netting), the better it works.

You are best to use lanolin soap, it only takes a couple of capfuls to do a washing machine tub of warm water, put in your quilt and soak for 20-30 minutes, do not rinse or adjitate the wash cycle. turn the machine onto spin,once finished - hang to dry or lay flat - leave in the lanolin soap, it helps your batting retain it shape and not come apart and ruin the quilt.