Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you see down a Dresden? >

How do you see down a Dresden?

How do you see down a Dresden?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

Pin, Pin, Pin - then applique by hand or machine
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM

I, too, would applique each block as it is finished. I use needle turn.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM

I have handstitched some, but prefer machine stitching. I cut the background the size I want it to be plus two inches on each side for squaring in case I don't get the Dresden centered just right. Fold the background in half one way and then the other and press firmly. The place where the folds meet should be the center. Put your Dresden on it so that the center is in the middle of the "hole" in the Dresden. Press the blades being sure to press down any variations in the blades. Those won't show after your quilt it, but they can mess you up when you are sewing the blades to the background. Pin the bottom of the blades to the background. Press the Dresden again. Pin each blade near the top. Press again to be sure you've got variations in the blades pressed down. You can put the center on the Dresden now you can wait until you've got the blades down. I like to put the center on before sewing the Dresden blades onto the background.

I use the feather stitch on my machine and try to coordinate the thread with the dominant color on the blade. I also put a paper towel behind the backing fabric for a stabilizer. Paper towels are inexpensive and tear away easily.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this and some may be simpler, but it works for me and my Dresdens look good enough that you won't see any flaws from a galloping horse. froggyintexa

Originally Posted by BOOBOOBEAR9999 View Post
I finished sewing together my 20 Dresden blades and now need to sew it to a backing block. What's the best way to do this?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I used the pattern and instructions from Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day book, and I machine appliqued the plate down, then did a small zigzag, can't remember what flavor of thread I used, probably something blue as the blades were all bright medium fabrics. This was a family reunion quilt 3 years ago, the family members send fabric of my color choice, then I put together a quilt. One of my "fussy" brothers, who also won the quilt, told me it was the best quilt I had ever made. The only change I made was increasing the size of the background block by about an inch all around, I thought the block looked better that way. I used a "base" fabric for 4 points of the plate, and the same fabric in the middle, a very pretty batik - it was one of my better quilts - which I had won it instead of Don. Oh well, one of these days I'll win one I hope, or at least one of my kids. I'm sure your quilt will be beautiful.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=BOOBOOBEAR9999;5667559]here's my dresden:[/QUOTECongratulations on posting your picture! Are you going to machine applique the center circle onto your plate first? I think I would match the thread on the points to whatever coloured center you decided to do. If you use extra thick black thread for appliqueing them, it gives a folksy or old fashioned look. You can also match the thread to the background fabric colour.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM

I've seen them sewn down with the decorative stitches on the machine. Saw a mini Christmas one sewn down with gold metallic.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM

I did mine all by hand. Just finished doing the applique. I blindstitched mine so you can not see the stitches. If you want the old fashioned way by hand, use a black thread and do the buttonhole stitch. You could do this on the sewing machine also, but I don't know if the black would work or not.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM

I did mine with the button hole stitch and I spray baseted them to the background fabric, then when I quilted the quilt I went over all the stitching again. spray basting is the way to go, the pieces will not move on you like pinnig.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM

I've done mine two ways. Small blanket stitch on my machine, and by hand. I preferred the look of the quilt I did by hand.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM

I have made several always sew them by hand.