Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you stay focused? >

How do you stay focused?

How do you stay focused?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Fifty blocks done out of 150. That means there's 90 left.
One a day for the next ninety days means the blocks will be
done some time in March. Again, one block a day. Even if
you just pick the material out for the block, do that.

I get myself overwhelmed with the enormity of a project, and
I find I need to cut it down to doing pieces at a time. That
works for me.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM

I read questions like this often. Is there something wrong with going from one thing to the next? I always figure that if you WANT to do something, you WILL do it. Apparently you would prefer to sew for a short time, do something else, or something else again, and then come back later. It's your time and your life. Spend it however you want! No rules.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 PM

I tried to just get caught up with a few important tasks that needed to be done so they were out of my way - then low and behold, some more came up - so finished those, and so the story goes. I'd set Nov. 1 as my date to begin quilting again - after a long hot humid summer of mowing, gardening, and having company one after the other....

Well, here it is almost January 1st. No quilting done to date - and still projects to be done - but you know something? from here on in, short of life or death - I'm going to begin quilting and to heck with the rest of it till spring! I want to do some quilting - and I will!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 PM

I just read your blog posting and what you've been going thru will certainly affect your focus. I'm in the same situation with my Dad, and some days I find myself wandering from task to task without even really remembering what I've done. Don't be so hard on yourself. Life will resettle into a routine - I'm counting on that!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM

I think a lot of us just have too much to do, and not enough time to get it done during the day. Between house work, computing, and running errands, it's hard to sit down and enjoy our crafts. Guess, we just have to change our priorities and start new resolutions for the coming year. ;)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM

I din't read all the replies, so I am sorry if this is a repeat. If you want to quilt for a longer time, try setting a timer. If you can make yourself sit for a half hour to begin with then set your timer to that time frame. Next time, add five more minutes. The next time add an additional five minutes. When you reach 45 minutes, stay at that for a few days then start increasing again. If your "two or three blocks" take more time than the half hour then start where you are comfortable and add time from there. Or just resign upirself that you need breaks and set a designated time when you will return to your sewing.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I have the opposite problem. I start sewing and can't quit. Hence the couple of all-nighters I did last week. I do periodically wander out of my sewing room & come check for new posts here. I guess that counts as taking a break?
geesh, I want a dose of that! I get distracted easily and there are a million household things and a dh that are always calling to me.
I have found, like somebody said earlier: do smaller things to get that quicker feeling of finishing.
I plan to just do blocks from different projects in the coming year and after a while things will start to be finished.
Music helps me tremendously too.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:04 PM

HOw do I stay focused ???? I don't ! ! !
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM

I have been soooo unmotivated for months now, especially tired, and have so much to do. Just can't seem to get my a-- in gear.

Maybe if we could all get together we would get something done. My house or yours? I will put on the kettle.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Sorry I don't have that problem, Mine is when I'm busy with patchwork or quilting is to forget the food on the stove, anybody else the same?