How do YOU stop buying fabrics? >

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Dont go to fab store.
my take exactly!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM

I delete emails without opening them or even unsubscribe from some. And I do not even go close to a fabric store unless I need something for a current project and then I go I with blinders on.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewCrazy4Quilts View Post
It's almost becoming an addiction.
What do you mean "almost" - I am a full-on fabric addict and I have no willpower to fix that addiction. lol

Actually, for a while I had a self-imposed moratorium and could only buy fabric to go with a project that was ongoing and I didn't have enough or the right color. (And then I signed up for group projects to make sure that I wouldn't have the right stuff.) So to answer your question: I don't make myself stop. I just try to curtail buying and actually use from my stash.

I noticed that you didn't mention books, threads, templates, rulers, gadgets, etc.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I noticed that you didn't mention books, threads, templates, rulers, gadgets, etc.
Not to mention patterns. Although I've gotten my fabric purchases under control, I still struggle with PAS (Pattern Acquisition Syndrome).
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

My worst downfall is reading this board. Someone will mention a wonderful fabric or great pattern and of course I have to go look. Once there, I want stuff.

So I do what someone else mentioned - I fill up my cart and then leave without checking out. Works pretty well. I have retirement coming very soon and have to save while I can!

Bunch of enablers here!

P. S. A niece of mine had a serious real-world shopping addiction. One of the exercises her counselor had her do was go to the store, fill the cart with everything you want. Then leave it and walk out of the store. It has been working for her.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

I go to the on line stores, pick all the fabric that I like...................then I look at the cart!!
WOW!!! That's a whole lot of money, so then I start cutting back to what I really need,
by the time that I'm done, I don't have enough in my cart for the free shipping, so I just end up leaving!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM

We really need FBA, (Fabric Buying Anonymous). I joined a Quilt Guild but that doesn't help, with the Show and Tell and all the new stuff, but the one thing that seriously has helped is that I pay in cash and I don't use my ATM or Credit card...
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM

When I started quilting I thought buy-buy-buy, now that I have quite a stash realize I don't need it all. I tried scrappy quilts and the 2 I made drove me crazy trying to deep colors differant, I don't think I will ever be able to make a scrappy quiltnot that I don't like the ones ladies make on this site, I just need to know what goes where when. Now I find a pattern buy what I need and am fine. I can actually walk into a fabric shop and buy only what I may of ran out of. Hope this helps but it took years of buying to realize I really don't need all this fabric.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM

I pretty much made the decision to not buy any fabric for any projects this year, unless I really had to. I've surprised myself at how much I've used from my stash. However, I'm still buying thread.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM

I thought when I moved to MT and 125 miles from nearest fabric shop and Wally world I'duse up what I have but NO!!!! Now I have all the faric catalogs on sites to shop from!But since it usually takes 2 weeks for my orders to get to me I love planning the next project while I'm waiting so still buying just not in person.